• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      HUNTER

Can anyone tell me how far the needle should penetrate the skin???

Johnny

For most parts of the body its 3-4 mm. Most new artists set their needle/tube up so the needle sticks out of the tube a nickels width with the armature bar pressed down, and work off the tube tip.

cjmahone66

@Johnny wrote:

For most parts of the body its 3-4 mm. Most new artists set their needle/tube up so the needle sticks out of the tube a nickels width with the armature bar pressed down, and work off the tube tip.

this can vary a bit though. even within the same tattoo if its larger. always error on the shallow side- if it doesn’t take you can always add more, but you can’t take it away. :)

HUNTER

Thanks for the help!

Johnny

Yes it can vary greatly. A nickel is just under 2mm thick, so error on the shallow side is possible on certain body parts, like the back for example. The dermis layer of skin on most peoples back begins at 3.0mm. Error on the deep side is also possible like on the foot which typically begins at about 1.5mm.

HUNTER

So it really all just depends on the area of the tattoo, right?

HUNTER

Is there any good websights that i could buy some drawing ink for outlining?

Johnny

Right. But like mahone-ski said… Going too deep is a done deal, especially if you go to deep over a large area. Not going deep enough can be fixed. If you are unsure about how to tattoo, then don’t. Its that simple. Practice on yourself and on practice skin. And try to get an apprenticeship, or some type of legitimate mentor. Not trying to be a dick. Its just the way it is.

Johnny

Like talens drawing ink? I’ve never used it but you can get it a lot of places. Unimax supply, technical supply both sell it. Can’t go wrong with dynamic or silverback black though… Love that shit

cjmahone66

@Johnny wrote:

…..If you are unsure about how to tattoo, then don’t. Its that simple. Practice on yourself and on practice skin. And try to get an apprenticeship, or some type of legitimate mentor. Not trying to be a dick. Its just the way it is.

AGREED. pigskin will help you learn needle depth better than fake skin IMO. check it out.
      i have had good results with Intenze lining black for outlines. beware the “Intense” ink on ebay and such, there have been some fakes out there. i get my Intenze inks from Unimax. no problems yet.

HUNTER

where the hell can i find pigskin lol

cjmahone66

i get mine at the Chinese grocery store. you could look up butchers too. also, they don’t keep it out at most regular grocery stores (scares the white-people) but almost all grocery stores with a meat counter will have it in the back. they can sell you a nice slab of ‘back fat’ for pretty cheap if you ask for it.

baldwincustoms
      Participant

as far as practice material pigskin is very good most meat markets have pig skin, I myself get pig ears, they are fairly inexpensive, and also allow you to work with natural curves in the skin

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan