• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

As folks may know, I’m in the process of having a traditional Japanese bodysuit done, which is primarily references to my family. This reads ‘aniki’, kind of Yakuza slang for ‘brother’, and I did this one to represent my best friend since I was 10, who is like a brother to me.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/TreadstoneArt/DSCN4103.jpg

The kanji balances against the kanji I did on my right thigh, which reads ‘ai shimai’ (beloved sister)

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/TreadstoneArt/DSCN4104.jpg

I also took a pic before getting down to business combining my two main interests, tattoos and watches :)

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/TreadstoneArt/DSCN4100.jpg

TexasPT

The Kanji looks clean. Nice work. Did you go to a round shader to fill or just stick with the liner?

You’re going to have a helluva time tattooing your own ass for that bodysuit. :)

@TexasPT wrote:

The Kanji looks clean. Nice work. Did you go to a round shader to fill or just stick with the liner?

You’re going to have a helluva time tattooing your own ass for that bodysuit. :)

Thanks, bro, I’m pleased with how it’s looking, although I am wondering if I might add a few mm to some lines once it’s healed, just to beef it up a little… With regards set up, I used both… Some of the really thin lines and tips, I filled with the liner, but the larger fills, I did with a round shader (Number 5 Round Liner and Shader)

The bodysuit is going to be done be the friend who allowed me to use his equipment, and thus got me into tattooing, he’s just had a lot on his plate lately due to moving house and having to re-decorate it himself as his fiance’s expecting, so can’t really do anything to help. That said, there are some elements which I’ve felt the need to tattoo myself, not because I don’t trust his skills, but simply because they were pieces with a lot of meaning, so I just wanted to do them myself :) Examples of this being the kanji for my best friend and my sister, the Hawaiian piece, and a cherry blossom on my ribs for the mother of my godson :)

TexasPT

That is a good friend to have. One of my good friends growing up went on to make a living out of tattooing. As he was progressing I was his canvas often. I managed a bar so I’d cover his tabs and he’d cover my skin. It’s cool to see the progression in his work on my skin, too. My wife’s best friend has an informal apprenticeship going on in Florida. We’ve already decided to get together and “practice” one weekend this summer. Tattoos are worth every penny from a great artist but I’ve found the older I get the less I can justify dropping a grand on picture when my kids would rather go to Disney World. :) It’s nice to have a “hook-up”.

You tattooed your own ribs? Holy crap…that had to be tough. Even on my thigh I hit a few spots that stung and took a second to collect my self before going back in.

@TexasPT wrote:

That is a good friend to have. One of my good friends growing up went on to make a living out of tattooing. As he was progressing I was his canvas often. I managed a bar so I’d cover his tabs and he’d cover my skin. It’s cool to see the progression in his work on my skin, too. My wife’s best friend has an informal apprenticeship going on in Florida. We’ve already decided to get together and “practice” one weekend this summer. Tattoos are worth every penny from a great artist but I’ve found the older I get the less I can justify dropping a grand on picture when my kids would rather go to Disney World. :) It’s nice to have a “hook-up”.

You tattooed your own ribs? Holy crap…that had to be tough. Even on my thigh I hit a few spots that stung and took a second to collect my self before going back in.

Yeah, he’s been a really good friend, even though we haven’t known each other long. The former-friend and fellow wizard who did much of the work on my sides and back, never let me touch his equipment, he just used me to get money… Totally different with this other friend though, we don’t charge each other for tattoos, just pay for the ink and needles, so it’s a mutual exchange :) I know what you mean about the costs as well, I’ve got to the point now where I’m loathe to pay for anything which I can either do myself, or get a generic version of (part of the reason that I got into collecting replica watches was that the real thing didn’t feel like it was worth the money, so I started looking for cheaper alternatives :D )

Yeah, it wasn’t painful (and I didn’t find having the sides of my ribs tattooed painful either) but it was an awkward area to reach to get the correct angle of the machine :D It’s only outline at the moment, as I want to get everything lined before coloring :) Only piece of color I do have, is the very first tattoo I did on myself, which is the cherry blossom on the front of my right thigh :)
      http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/TreadstoneArt/DSCN4110.jpg

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan