• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      tattoo123

First, I’d like to say that after several weeks, hours, and sleepless nights researching everything tattoo related, I am amazed by this “Forum”. I’ve read just about every post and there is nothing but respect and support. There seems to be a group of “professional” artists out there that have some serious issues with the individual right as a free citizen to exercise their right to self expression. People and cultures have been preforming tattoos for thousands of years(without an autoclave), for Christ’s sake!). I’ve spent numerous hours and several(and I do mean several) hundred dollars get work done by “professional” artist’s, and I never realized until I started reading stuff online that this whole “Industry” is bogus. I’ve learned that just because a person opens up a shop, has access to an autoclave, and a blinking neon sign does not make him or her special. It is a front to the public in order to “legitimize” an ancient and modern underground form of self expression. I’m embarrassed to admit this but I even caught a few episodes of L.A. Ink. In the 2 to 3 episodes that i saw Cat Von D(or whatever), broke every ” tattooing” rule there was. 1). Tattooing a t.v. celebrity in his own living room. 2). Tattooing an obviously intoxicated Steve-O(Jack-ass), and then 3)., During a session with a BMXer he takes the machine from her and tattoos on her leg. I know, I know t.v. editing and all that… but it just reinforced some of my past experiences. Summary: all the shop loving “professionals” out there that try intimidating people from even pursuing this art with out access to an autoclave or apprenticeship… get over yourselves. “Newbies” like me, we access to green soap, disposable tube/tip/needle combos, plastic wrap, and you know the list. I’ve recently started my first self tattoo and I’m loving it! Artist’s are their own worst critic but my wife and teenage girls think it’s very good, and observed the process and see how much I’m into it. My personal advice to those serious minded people out there that want to get started: 1). Definitely have some sense of what “art” is. I know that this may be a bit philosophical sounding, but this will only save you(and hopefully not someone else) unnecessary pain. 2). Only tattoo yourself until you feel confidant enough to move onto others. I mean come on… you shouldn’t expect to impress others until you are impressed with your own work. And I’m the first to admit that semester after semester of drawing and painting courses, I have a long way to go. Tattoo machines and learning the effects of needle groupings and technique are challenging. And last # 3). When tattooing (practicing) on yourself… ALWAYS, ALWAYS act and set up as if you are a “professional”(I know… I said it). Spend a little money on green soap, gloves, etc… Don’t be a freakin’ cheap skate, this is your skin!!!!. Take your time setting up. Attempt to predict all your necessities ahead of time. Use only disposable(single use gear). Strive extremely hard to cross contaminate(it helps that my wife is a Dental Assistant). Have fun and be safe. Thanks for reading. Looking forward to your comments. Matt

tattoo123

Wow, I can’t believe that I’m responding to my own subject !!! After reading some of what I wrote, I realize many mistakes and misunderstandings. My bad… and I’m sure that most will get the point… I need proof reading. Matt

cillalea5005

Matt,
      I do agree with what you said in your post. I do believe in every persons right to self expression, and there are alot of people out there that make it hard to get into this. They believe that if you haven’t had an apprenticeship…well, then you are not a “real” tattoo artist. that is straight bull#$%^!!! My husband has many tattoos that he got in prison, some of which I would put up against the best professional artists work. Not only were they done without an autoclave, I wont even go into what they used for ink!!
      Your advice is right on! Alot of great artists never had an apprenticeship, and I am sure alot of so-so artists did. I do want one, but if I can’t find one, is it gonna stop me-no! I,too, do work on myself (and my husband-God bless him!!!!) and will continue to. Even tho it is not the same, I have also practiced on the “fake skin” and pig-skin.
      With all the disposable tips,tubes,grips and plastic covers out now, I don’t think having an autoclave is a necessity. No one starts out an expert, and I agree with what you said about you shouldn’t expect others to be impressed with your work until you are.
      There are alot of judgemental people out there, and I have noticed that the old saying…opinions are like #%%holes-everybody has one, seems to apply in this field/art alot. I figure, the more people I see tattoo,and the more I practice tattooing, I will develop my own style, my own thoughts on the way I want to do it. Great post dude.

Peace, cilla

xDreamerx
      Participant

True, everyone will have their own method or opinion on almost every aspect of tattooing. You ask 10 different people and you’ll get 10 different answers or opinions.

The biggest point I push personally is that you learn the medical side of tattooing. I believe if your going to givedsa like most of us, then I assume your an artist already and “want” to learn the medical side of this art.

I could go on and on…..but then again i would sound redundant to what you should already know…..lol Hope this helps.

Awesome post, Matt, I completely agree with you :) Welcome indeed :)

Atchitol

I agree with you Matt, some of the best ink I have is from people who were self taught. And I have a good bit of that so called “professional” ink.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan