• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      dragonborn

hey I’m new to the tattooing world but i am interested in becoming an artist. i’ve been drawing my whole life and i would like to think that i’m pretty good at it ;) i joined this forum because i want to know as much about tattooing as possible before i ever start tattooing on a real person so absolutely any advice is very much appreciated :D

i have designed one tattoo so far and i am currently waiting on the book “Basic Fundamentals Of Modern Tattoo.” i have a couple questions that i hope you guys can answer for me:

1) what should i be looking for when buying a tattoo gun and ink?
      2) what can i start tattooing on?
      3) do you need a tattoo to give a tattoo?

again, any advice or comment is appreciated :D

Infamous
      Participant

Welcome to the forum! And I am glad to see you asking questions! lol

1. First of all, not to be rude but professionals call it a machine, so never call it that if you want to sound like a pro lol.
      But to answer the question, well you know what if you have that book coming it will explain it a lot better. Just look for quality and good reviews. You should get your supplies from a place like http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com not amazon or ebay if you want to get quality stuff. Not to say you can’t find quality stuff there, but its a gamble.

2. Start tattooing on practice skin, practically any citrus fruit (most prefer honeydew melons), or pig skin (if you can get your hands on some, it is probably the closest thing to human skin)

3. Hell no

Rscotti91
      Participant

@Infamous wrote:

1. First of all, not to be rude but professionals call it a machine, so never call it that if you want to sound like a pro lol.
      But to answer the question, well you know what if you have that book coming it will explain it a lot better. Just look for quality and good reviews. You should get your supplies from a place like http://www.tattoomachineequipment.com not amazon or ebay if you want to get quality stuff. Not to say you can’t find quality stuff there, but its a gamble.

2. Start tattooing on practice skin, practically any citrus fruit (most prefer honeydew melons), or pig skin (if you can get your hands on some, it is probably the closest thing to human skin)

3. Hell no

Infamous is right, never call a TATTOO MACHINE A TATTOO GUN.
      Same could be said about ink as well, SOME professionals don’t call ink, ink. Some refer to it tattoo pigment. So keep that in mind as well.

I used one practice skin, threw it away and then found out about the fruits. In my opinion, the best thing to start on is fruits.
      Then to pig skin, since it’s the closest thing to human skin, in the sense that it’s SIMILAR to the human skin DNA. In terms of hair follicles, color, and has a subcutaneous layer of skin A.K.A. the fatty layer of skin. It’s not exact but SIMILAR.
      You should also do a lot of research on human skin, and learn all the layers. Starting from top to bottom, Epidermis, Dermis (where the pigment stays inside of the skin making a tattoo last.), and Subcutaneous Layer.

You don’t need to have tattoos, to tattoo. It’s just preferred by many artists, but it definitely helps you learn to go and get one, even if it’s not something huge.
      The only thing I CAN’T STRESS ENOUGH IS, DO YOUR RESEARCH!
      Not trying to be arrogant, but if you don’t that’s how you become arrogant. Only cause you learn a bunch of stuff doesn’t mean you KNOW EVERYTHING.
      That’s how I was when I learned tons of stuff AT FIRST and guess what, IT GOT ME NOWHERE, IN THE BEGINNING. OTHER THAN A BAD REPUTATION..

If you have any questions you’d like to ask, don’t hesitate, feel free to ask! I’ll answer any questions that I can to the best of my knowledge UNLESS I’m ignorant about what you’re asking. There’s ALWAYS room for IMPROVEMENT, ALWAYS.
      I hope this helps.
      R.Scotti

dragonborn

@Infamous wrote:

3. Hell no

these are the kind of tips that i am looking for, the little details that can make or break an artist. Thank you

all the answers are greatly appreciated. i will be sure to keep all you guys informed on my progress in the coming months.

Lennart82
      Participant

Welcome to the forum. :)

I would say your questions have been answered.

A little thing on a tattoo kit, yes you can get a good kit, but in time you really should replace everything with better stuff. And the old saying; you get what you pay for! Really goes here.

Well okey, you can get your hands on a knock of machine, you think is the real deal. ;)

dragonborn

@Rscotti91 wrote:

@Infamous wrote:

3. Hell no

Infamous is right, never call a TATTOO MACHINE A TATTOO GUN.
      Same could be said about ink as well, SOME professionals don’t call ink, ink. Some refer to it tattoo pigment. So keep that in mind as well.

I used one practice skin, threw it away and then found out about the fruits. In my opinion, the best thing to start on is fruits.
      Then to pig skin, since it’s the closest thing to human skin, in the sense that it’s SIMILAR to the human skin DNA. In terms of hair follicles, color, and has a subcutaneous layer of skin A.K.A. the fatty layer of skin. It’s not exact but SIMILAR.
      You should also do a lot of research on human skin, and learn all the layers. Starting from top to bottom, Epidermis, Dermis (where the pigment stays inside of the skin making a tattoo last.), and Subcutaneous Layer.

You don’t need to have tattoos, to tattoo. It’s just preferred by many artists, but it definitely helps you learn to go and get one, even if it’s not something huge.
      The only thing I CAN’T STRESS ENOUGH IS, DO YOUR RESEARCH!
      Not trying to be arrogant, but if you don’t that’s how you become arrogant. Only cause you learn a bunch of stuff doesn’t mean you KNOW EVERYTHING.
      That’s how I was when I learned tons of stuff AT FIRST and guess what, IT GOT ME NOWHERE, IN THE BEGINNING. OTHER THAN A BAD REPUTATION..

If you have any questions you’d like to ask, don’t hesitate, feel free to ask! I’ll answer any questions that I can to the best of my knowledge UNLESS I’m ignorant about what you’re asking. There’s ALWAYS room for IMPROVEMENT, ALWAYS.
      I hope this helps.
      R.Scotti

good tip. thanks

doesnt sound arrogant at all. i am coming into the tattoo world completely cold so i plan on doing as much research as i can :)
      i am also my own biggest critic so i try and keep myself humble at all times.

once again, thank you for the tips. i’ll try and ask more questions in the future as i progress :mrgreen:

Rscotti91
      Participant

Well I was at the time, so I try to educate new comers so they don’t make the same mistakes I did.
      If you have any type of question, basic or even if you think it’s kind of stupid to ask, just ask.
      When you’re ignorant about something, it might sound stupid but IT’S NOT. Those questions can really save your ass.
      You’re welcome for the tips, I would like to see others succeed too.
      R.Scotti

Lennart82
      Participant

And old saying goes;
      There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers ;)
      So bring em on :D

Rscotti91
      Participant

@Lennart82 wrote:

And old saying goes;

Hahaa! So true, Lennart! How are you?
      R.Scotti

Lennart82
      Participant

@Rscotti91 wrote:

@Lennart82 wrote:

And old saying goes;

Hahaa! So true, Lennart! How are you?
      R.Scotti

Actually quite good. :D Just been on the phone with the bank, who granted the major loan for house renovation. Which means, I am now getting a shop at home :D
      Next stop, a contracter :D
      And how are you R.Scotti?

Rscotti91
      Participant

That’s great to hear Lennart.
      If only I lived in Denmark or close to it, I went and became a certified contractor. haha.
      I hope to see some pics when you’re renovations are all done.

I’m really good actually, I just started a new job today and I talked to the local artist by me that I want to be my mentor and…. I’M GOING IN WEDNESDAY TO SHOW HIM MY PORTFOLIO!!! :D I’m so excited, nervous, and anxious. I’m hoping I’ll finally get what I’ve been working for, for almost 3 years.
      AN APPRENTICESHIP!!! :D
      R.Scotti

Infamous
      Participant

Best of luck to you both

angie

welcome :)

Lennart82
      Participant

Thats also great news Rscotti :D Good luck to it.

Maybe we shouldnt use the intro for this kind of chatting :oops:

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan