• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      tractor ink

howdy yall my name is david but everyone calls me tractor lol iv gotten several tattoos and it has got me wantin to learn this art. Im open to any info and help yall can give, and my first ? would be is a rotary a good gun to start out with.

leopardprints67
      Participant

@tractor ink wrote:

howdy yall my name is david but everyone calls me tractor lol iv gotten several tattoos and it has got me wantin to learn this art. Im open to any info and help yall can give, and my first ? would be is a rotary a good gun to start out with.

Welcome, Tractor. Got any art to show off?

Viper65

check out my posts for some rotary information. I would “recommend” that you start with coils though. You need to understand how machines work, how to tear them down, how to rebuild them, and how to tune them. Once you have a good understanding of it all you could try out the rotary’s and see the difference if any. I think for me they work better for the type art (tattoos) that like to do. Of course I still use my coil machines for other stuff…they all are great, just play around and see what works best for you!!!!!
      what rotary are you thinking about using first? what coil machine would you get and where? Try to stay away from the cheap chinese stuff, youll be frustrated right from the start!!!!!

tractor ink

I was goin to see what feedback I had got back before I really looked at them and made a decision on one.

viper is right, learn with coils first so u understand the ins and outs, then stop calling them guns unless just to piss of old timers which i still do cuz i’m an old timer and it’s funny to watch them get red in the face. rotary’s are great, i use swash drives for my large mag color packs cuz u can’t dog out a rotary like u can a coil. don’t get me wrong coils are still great for line work and b&g and traditional color work with round shaders but if ur going big go rotary

Randy5
      Participant

Viper, what kinda of art style do you use your rotary machines for, and why are they better for that? Thanks.

kevinseo

Hi and welcome

wrathone11
      Participant

Just starting out I’d go with some good coil machines. I have a rotary I tried out and liked it for packing color, but can really see where if you didn’t know what the needles should be doing and how a machine hits you could really tear up some skin. I think learning coil machines and how they work and how to tune them is important in knowing what you’re doing to skin. Rotary machines are something I think you should wait to check out and experiment with once you’ve got a good grasp of tattooing with coil machines. That’s just my opinion though and you know what they say about opinions.

If you’re really stuck on going the rotary route check out the swash drive machines, I’ve got a few friends that use them and absolutely love them. However, all the guys I know using them are using them for color packing and big pieces. When it comes to small pieces or lining work they’re all still using coil machines.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan