• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      rob

hey guys complete novice here. i was wondering if someone could shed some light on grey wash. What is it used for exactly. can you use greywash to blockshade letters for example or only for depth shading. Sorry if i sound stupid but this is the first time ive been able to ask these questions

xDreamerx
      Participant

You should consider reading Jordans book. You can find the link here on this site somewhere lol Its good reading for beginners. I think questions like yours would benefit you to read it.

As for greywash, you can use it for anything you want. Coloring, shading, shadows, powder shading…etc. Its up to you as the artist on how to manipulate and control it. So there is no real rule set in place that says what you can or cant do with greywash….goodluck and have fun and most importantly be safe in this art form! !

rob

Thanks alot mate, appreciate the help

xDreamerx
      Participant

no offense but I like hearing that word “mate” reminds me my friends I used to compete with online (gaming) from the UK and other places.

jtdaltonsr

what exactly is powder shading? ive seen that term floating around, never asked what it was though….

xDreamerx
      Participant

well I may be mis using the word lol I have always done very light shading and I’ve called it powder shading cause its soo light and you can’t see any stroke marks or as they say “rake” marks.

I thought I invented the word when I was teenager lol then I heard another person say it…….well its a very common word lol anyhow….long story short, its just a very light shading that hides your technique/strokes….thats my definition someone else may say it represents another form of shading, but thats just what I’ve always known it to be…..

evan

hay bro this a trick i learned from a old schooler and i love it so ill pass it on most people use water to thine out there gray wash this dude told me to use white ink insted i love it cuz it keeps its thickness and lays in cleaner just try if like it keep it

jcarmack
      Participant

The only thing that you should be using to thin your inks is Witch Hazel. It’s an astringent and helps with the swelling and bleeding as well. Also, it’s sterile. If your inks are too thin then you can add pharmaceutical glycerin to thicken them up. You can buy glycerin at any pharmacy.

jcarmack
      Participant

Green soap in your grey wash or any other application using color is a big no no. Green Soap is an irritant and can cause your clients skin to become sensitive, red, inflamed and make it a lot harder to heal over time. Even when using green soap to wipe down the tattoo you need to ensure that it’s properly diluted so that it won’t irritate the skin. It’s best to use pharmaceutical grade glycerin to thicken up your ink and witch hazel or distilled water to dilute your inks.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

i was told by Mario Barth to use 60% black 10% witch hazel 10% rose water 20% distilled water
      change obviously depending on the darkness of your grey wash

as far as ONLY using witch hazel id say no. yes use it as it helps thin out the inks and such but id said using distilled water as your main form of dilution would be your best bet

as far as using white white will actually change the colour of your inks as you make your washes

i took part in a webinar about the Science of Shading hosted by Intenze Ink and given by Mario Barth. I have all my notes if anyone wants me to post em in a thread.

robroy289
      Participant

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

i was told by Mario Barth to use 60% black 10% witch hazel 10% rose water 20% distilled water
      change obviously depending on the darkness of your grey wash

as far as ONLY using witch hazel id say no. yes use it as it helps thin out the inks and such but id said using distilled water as your main form of dilution would be your best bet

as far as using white white will actually change the colour of your inks as you make your washes

i took part in a webinar about the Science of Shading hosted by Intenze Ink and given by Mario Barth. I have all my notes if anyone wants me to post em in a thread.

Dude that would be so helpful!!! Please share!!!

Anonymous
      Inactive

The only thing which you can do it is making a shade with an good stencil that would look very good.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan