• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      adanaw

I’ve been asking around about apprenticeships here in Michigan for the past three years or so, and the answer’s always no. I understand that tattoo artists don’t want to waste their time with random Joes who are serious about tattooing.

I also understand that as an apprentice, you’ll be doing a lot of grunt work before you ever touch a tattoo machine. You have to pay your dues, learn about cleanliness, get the basics down and such.

What I don’t understand is why every tattoo artist I’ve talked to in Michigan – save one – has asked for anywhere between $10,ooo and $20,ooo to take on an apprentice. This strikes me as extremely odd, and it’s very off-putting to someone who’s very serious about tattooing, but has no money and abhors the idea of getting scammed by some a-holes who just need to make rent and payroll. The one tattoo artist that didn’t mention absurd amounts of money told me of how the first artist he apprenticed under closed up shop and left in the middle of his apprenticeship. I’d hate to have to hurt someone for pulling that kind of crap with me after taking my money. :?

I’m just wondering if this is the normal practice, or if the Michigan economy is turning tattoo artists into con artist. Any thoughts?

Never pay for an apprenticeship.
      Never sign a contract that says if you quit your apprenticeship you have to pay the artist or owner.
      Never sign a contract that says if you quit you can’t work within 50 miles or whatever radius.
      These are hacks trying to squeeze money from you.

If you are a good artist, and you have a good personality – you will eventually find SOMEONE who tattoos – who will teach you something.

If you can’t find a place to learn – then just read as much as possible and watch DVDs.
      If you are ever in Arizona – email me, and I will talk with you for FREE! haha

Check out Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo…Support the cost of running this website!
      Also, I am working on http://www.Tattoo-Apprentice.com
      and the new book “The Advanced Tattoo Apprentice”

I have tons of video to edit and put on the members forum – look for that this week (for real this time)

Best of Luck!

tatdaddy79

well i have to politely disagree with not paying for an apprenticeship. i am currently paying for mine. i look at it like college tuition. the artist i am under is really cool about it tho, and its fairly cheap 100 a month. it got my foot in the door, its helping me to learn the ropes, to be a better artist, to create solid tattoos, to fulfill my dream of working in the tattoo industry imo its money very well spent.

If you are cool with the terms, and it is not 10k for a 3 month apprenticeship…
      Then you obviously have that choice to make.
      The reason I am against it is because tattoo apprentice (in my opinion) pays for his knowledge by way of cleaning / helping at the studio.
      To pay cash… then who would do the cleaning?

If I were an apprentice I would be frustrated if I was paying someone just to learn how to clean.
      I say that also to prevent a lot of young tattoo apprentices from getting ripped off as well.
      Best of Luck!

leopardprints67
      Participant

@tatdaddy79 wrote:

well i have to politely disagree with not paying for an apprenticeship. i am currently paying for mine. i look at it like college tuition. the artist i am under is really cool about it tho, and its fairly cheap 100 a month. it got my foot in the door, its helping me to learn the ropes, to be a better artist, to create solid tattoos, to fulfill my dream of working in the tattoo industry imo its money very well spent.

If this is working for you, awesome. And at $100 a month, if the artist is a good one and ethical, then that’s a helluva deal, imho.

I’ve been busting ass for over a decade trying to go it the “right way” and have paid out the nose for apprenticeships that never panned out. I wasn’t taught anything and in fact, learned more by myself and by books, videos and watching other artists.

I’ve been scammed to the tune of over $7000. Which, if you’re a single mom is an astronomical fee to be taught jack shit. Oh, the things we do when we’re desperate to fulfill a dream!

Lysa

Lysa –
      Where are you located?

leopardprints67
      Participant

@canvasyou wrote:

Lysa –
      Where are you located?

In Rockford, Illinois. Armpit of the Free World, lol.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan