• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

So I’m getting a stencil ready for a client, and I get a message on facebook:

“Tribal Sun
      you looking for a job?”

Tribal Sun being the facebook page for a shop in town. I almost had an anxiety attack after getting that message! He then asked if I had pics, and I linked him to my website, and fbook page, and then he said “ttyl.”

I’m not sure if that means hes gunna go over my stuff tonight, and think about it, or if that means “Yer a no go.”

We’ll see what happens in the coming days.

Lennart82
      Participant

nice one….

I’m not that big on shorten words… What the? Does ttyl means?

Infamous
      Participant

Well, hope he gets back to you soon!

And Lenn, TTYL means Talk To You Later

Spider
      Participant

Well dude, with that entry about you on hilds fb page you can now expect the “competition” to look your way if they haven’t before. Not sure what the scene is out your way, but here they (they meaning other shops and artists in the area) are a shady bunch of pissy school girls with way too much free time on their hands. Before I opened the shop up I was inking at home in a temp studio set-up. Had ads running on craigslist and so on. At least once a week I would have to redo my ads because they were getting flagged and removed, I would get phone calls of people asking me for quotes over the phone on prices and blah blah blah, all fakes. The thing is that I later found out thru mutual friends that they were offered free ink if they came to me, got some ink then went back to the shop that asked them to come so they could take pics of the new ink and submit me to the health dept for illegal tattooing. Actually got a regular customer from that LOL….anywho, since the shop has been opened I have had some very odd “walk-in customers” that didn’t get ink but were just weird, found out that they were/ are friends of local artists that sent them in to come check me out.
      Long situation short man, they see you as competition now and have categorized you as either a “threat” a “foe” or “no one to bother with”. Honestly, take any communication with a grain of salt and just keep on keeping on. If a legitimate shop is interested in you they will approach you with professionalism and respect. If it’s a pissy schoolgirl they will just try to rattle you in hopes you flop and fail. You can either pay attention to the bullshit and consider them competition or do like we do at our shop and simply choose not to compete and so they are not our competition they are just another artist doing their thing.
      We have taken another road and concentrate on the shop and our art in order to further ourselves and pay no attention to what another shop does. I have heard that I am an idiot (according to a local shop owner) because My artists start out at 60% take home when everyone else starts at 30-35% and only the really good ones make 50% take home. However, my artists are awesome at their styles (check out Jin on our website and you tell me if his black and grey is badass or not) and they are very happy at my shop, which translates into they will stay for some time and make a solid go of making a good name for the shop.
      If anyone starts asking you if you are interested in coming on board do some lengthy research Rahm and make sure it benefits you more than it does them. Make sure that you are paid properly, the shop has a solid rep in the community, and all that. And ALWAYS remember that a non-competition clause in a contract is not enforceable in any court (there is an article about it on our Stuff section of the website.). If they really want you, they will cater to you and drool at your feet, just don’t let em jack you around man.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Thanks for the post Spider! I have actually checked out Jin’s stuff before it’s really solid. If it is legit, and he does want me there I’ll definitely do my best to cover my bases. I’ll ask about my take home, and such, and ill check out that section on your website. I was just kind of excited that he messaged me, haha. If you think about it though by me being featured he can be like “Yo buddy was featured on a tattoo website and he works here.” Gives him a little street cred right? I have two tattoos by him actually. My buddy has one, and my ex only goes to him, and one of the people I tattooed basically only goes to him. I haven’t been there in three years so I’m not sure how busy he is but i guess hes pretty popular around here, and from what I could judge from him is he’s pretty chill. Especially compared to some of the other artists in town. IE: My old boss.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Rants and Raves’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan