• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

Ive gotten to the point where I can create really solid, good work. But at times I have issues out of the blue with putting the ink in. My boss does amazing work but he is old school and basically feels things out n therefore can only teach me so much, so Im on here. My biggest issue is at times I cant get a solid line and have to go over it to make it dark enough. Changing my throw to increase power helped but it only did so much. My bosses theory is if the line wont go in you turn your voltage up, and that isnt always the answer. I tried slowing down that doesnt really work. Generally my big issue is on the ribs. I stretch the skin like crazy, and keep the voltage anywhere from 9 to 12. I know that is fast its just how I was taught. When my guns are new they run great no matter what Im doing, then as time passes It gets inconsistent. I checked my throw, my springs are good, everything seems to be in working order. This prob. really haunts me. Would really appreciate any advice! Thanks

boaz

sorry to say this but i think you are full of shit step away from the machine as we dont call them guns and just come out with what you want to say man who knows you will probably get the answer your looking for

boaz

my advice would be to get your gear together from were you are working if you really work there and go to your boss ask him to stand up and look up when he looks up kick him hard in the nuts and walk out the door he should be on top of your game and maintaining the reputation and before any one wants to comment on the words being written here take a long hard think YOU ARE HERE BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BECOME A TATTOOIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fair enough I guess. I’m still very new in the tattoo world, and yes my boss should be doing that. And during my apprenticeship he has called them guns as well as machines. I realize its not the professional term but yes I do say that from time to time. Sorry If Ive offended anyone. I doubt I’ll get an answer but I guess my question is how do I get my liner to produce consistently strong lines. I’m not trying to act like I know much about tattooing and when I work on someone they know Im new at it its not like im out there messing ppl up believe me, nor am I doing this out of my house. I have a lot of respect for the tattoo world and I put everything I have into every tattoo I do. Its why im on here trying to gain more knowledge.

boaz

ok what machine do you have what is it hitting with 8 or 10 up wraps what is the machine springs do you have on there( front and back) …..this is just the machine we need to look at first next is the power …….after that is your technique

I have a Pulse Executive for my liner. It has 8 wrap coils with 16s for the springs front and back. My voltage stays between 9 and 12 volts. Power supply is from Kingpin so its pretty solid I think. Thanks so much for taking time to answer. Really appreciate it.

boaz

ok is only this liner you have trouble with or you have trouble with other liners if its the ex then the capacitor or coil is on the way out if not your powers supply is on the way if not that then it could be your stretch technique as far as its not consistent asmuing all of this is ok turn your volts sdown to 6.5 and Slow everything down . have a look at the needle loop and make sure it fits tight on the armature bar if there is any play tighten that up solid

I do have a liner from kingpin as well that I have the same issue with, it has basically the same set up as far as coils and springs. Being that I run the voltage so high and I was actually taught to go a little higher than that if necessary I do think It could very well be the capacitor or or coil because I know the machines themselves are not made to have that much voltage running through them for a long period of time. Or at least thats what I have read. I have spare parts and I will replace it and see if that is an issue, and I will check my power supply as well. Ive had issues before with the armature bar nipples I use getting worn out so I always make sure to check it constantly.
      I will try using that voltage too and I’m sure that will help.

I’ll try doing what you told me and see how that goes first I guess before I go into stretch technique. Thanks.

boaz

no prob let me know how you get

Well I’ve done a few tattoos since I last posted and turning the voltage down definitely helped and surprisingly I can still move through them fairly quickly. I also turned the voltage down on my shader and it still puts the ink in just fine without tearning the skin up. Thanks again for helping me expanding my knowledge on this!

boaz

no probs mate any time

fullkeel

My builder set me up with a liner that lines solid and fast at 5.5 volts all loaded up. You don’t turn up voltage to make machine faster, increased voltage makes the machine hit harder NOT faster. Shortening the stroke will make it faster, but if you make any adjustments to the stroke/throw, you will throw off the harmonics of the machine, unless it is a piece of shit production machine that had no harmonics to begin with. If you want a fast machine that lays in solid lines a builder (A good builder/tattoo artist) will build and tune to your specs.
      You say you want a fast machine..well a good builder will begin by making fast coils for that machine. IMHO when artists want fast machines finding the right coils , “fast” coils is 75% of the battle. (and then the springs and point gap)
      In the production world you choose from 8 layer liner coils or 10 layer shader coils and although that amount of wire is in APPROXIMATELY correct, A knowledgable builder will vary the amount of wire depending on how he wants the machine to behave. The speed of the coils is dictated by the measure of resistance in that wire. I have seen 8 layer coils with 3.5 ohms of resistance and as high as 4ohms…A good builder who knows what he is doing will not be so worried about how many layers and build you coils with the proper resistance for the intended purpose AND the right sized capacitor. My coils for example are 1.9 ohms of resistance, wound with the highest quality wire around high quality steel cores which translates to coils that allow the voltage to move through them very fasy, more cycles per second and because of the quality they move all the usual needle groupings at very low voltage. The wire is also insulated against the core in a very special way to give the coils some extra POP. The coils must match the cap, must match the springs which must match the point gap, all of these factors are dependant on one another and when all are in HARMONY there is NO mistake..you can see it, feel it and hear it.
      And when your machine is set-up in such a manner, tuned to your specs and sent to you. There should be no reason to ever touch it or play with the contact screw..and this is the differance between a real hand crafted precision instrument and a production piece of shit.

fullkeel

I just read that your machine is a pulse..Pulse makes great power supplies but I’ve heard mixed reviews on thier machines.
      And someone said maybe your coils are on the way out…coils are never on thier way out, coils either work or they do not work…capacitors are never “on the way out” they either work or they are blown.
      Pulse is using .016 thick springs to line with is the rear? .016 springs would leave weaker lines than a stiffer spring.

You should take the machine apart and clean with steel wool all conductive parts..binding posts, screws, metal washers on the posts, any shim washers, emery cloth on front spring and contact point on contact screw, base plate, inside of the -neg terminal where the clip cord hook (need a tiny brush or file for that one).
      Its good for all machines every once in a while.

Wow. I have to say I’m humbled. Thanks for posting. Are you a builder then? If so have a website?

Sorry, didn’t really read that through very carefully did I? I was kind of blown away by how much I really dont know about tattooing. In any case do you have any recommendations where I could find someone to build one? Also do you have anything to say about Kingpins liner machines? They are who I started with.

boaz

full realy know his shit you will learn a lot from here https://www.facebook.com/FugitiveIrons

Thanks very much

robroy289
      Participant

@boaz wrote:

my advice would be to get your gear together from were you are working if you really work there and go to your boss ask him to stand up and look up when he looks up kick him hard in the nuts and walk out the door he should be on top of your game and maintaining the reputation and before any one wants to comment on the words being written here take a long hard think YOU ARE HERE BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BECOME A TATTOOIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we need to empathize more on this subject! If you need to crank your machine up more than 6-8 when lining then you need to check the power supply you are using! Anything past that i going to make dog food out of the skin! Unless you are using some cheap Chinese knock off. If someone is cranking the volts up to get the lines in they are just worried about putting out a tat2 fast as possible just for the money and not for the art! I have seen this alot. Leaving a risen, scarred and very shitty tattoo. I don’t know about you guys but i don’t want my name attached to anything like that!!

Thanks for the insight, my kingpin powersupply was pretty expensive so I figured it would last longer than a year, but I noticed the amount of power it was putting out was starting to change from tattoo to tattoo. I got a hurricane and it seems to be pretty solid though.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan