• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      jtdaltonsr

Im not currently an apprentice, but was woundering…it is REALLY hard to get an apprenctice, Ive tried at one shop, and they said they are too busy to take on any newcomers, but they are always just hanging outside, I never see them inside, you know, “tattooing” and what not…My question is this…that is the ONLY shop in the area that is reputable in a good way, should I just be hard headed and take my portfolio every few days or so and kinda blend in with the guys hopeing they will accept me and aprentice me? or just give up on that place and move out of state to try another shop I have no info on? Im so worried right now that this wont happen until Im out of the state, but I have family man. Cant just jump ship. This was probably a dumbass question, but I dont care. I want advice because Im pretty sure SOMEONE has had this situation too. Im in South Central Virginia, so anyone that has a shop in the area and wants to give a guy a chance, HIT ME UP DAWG!!!!!! :!: 8-)

Getting into the Tattoo industry is difficult, there is not doubt about that. That is why I wrote Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo. The more you can show you know to the shop you are trying to get into – the better your odds. you also have to have a solid portfolio – with “tattoo” genre drawings and paintings. Tattoo art is a style, learn it. Look at tattoo flash and get inspired. Don’t give up! If you only have 1 shop around you – and you want to learn tattoo, then you might have to move to the city. Any town with one tattoo shop is probably not going to be a place where they are booked up weeks in advance. Or else there would be 2 tattoo shops in the same area.

The hard reality is that tattoo artists don’t make that much money. You would think that the prices that are charged and that tattooing is simple.
      But there is high overhead – cost of learning – and not a steady flow of clients in most shops.

Take what you can get – offer to be a slave basically.

You have to pay to learn how to tattoo – it might be with your labor, it might be with your time, it might be wother ways. One way or another though – you will pay for your apprenticeship.

I am strongly against paying an artist cash to learn to tattoo, but this is not unheard of.

Best of luck to you! Stay positive.

jtdaltonsr

Hey I really appreciate it. And yeah, it seems like I will have to “kiss a lil ass” right now, but I feel it is worth it to an extent. I mean, respectful ass kissing..lol I may have my foot in the door, by the way, an old friend that I didnt even know could do tats is actually working there, so Ive got some communication with the place. I will keep you updated.

Best of luck… hope it works out.

xDreamerx
      Participant

Well said……agreed.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan