• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      bobbylink

I haven’t done any color yet, so I would like to know when coloring should I use a shader or liner? Also I keep reading about a soft back spring can anyone explain? Thanx a million.

@bobbylink wrote:

I haven’t done any color yet, so I would like to know when coloring should I use a shader or liner?

What do you think? The clue is in the name of the needle ;)

@bobbylink wrote:

Also I keep reading about a soft back spring can anyone explain? Thanx a million.

The spring which the armature bar is attached to is the back spring. How stiff it is could pretty much be down to personal choice :)

bobbylink

I guess that was a no brainer? As far as the back spring I should have been more clear, what I should have asked was what do you mean by softening? My gues is the amount of bend on the spring but I just wanna be sure. I don’t mean to be a pest with all my questions, but it seems that every pro in my city seems to be to good for anyone with questions, and also seem to be to good to take on an apprentice.

Viper65

@bobbylink wrote:

I guess that was a no brainer? As far as the back spring I should have been more clear, what I should have asked was what do you mean by softening? My gues is the amount of bend on the spring but I just wanna be sure. I don’t mean to be a pest with all my questions, but it seems that every pro in my city seems to be to good for anyone with questions, and also seem to be to good to take on an apprentice.

Springs come in different guages…you can use them to make different set-ups on your machines. You could make a machine that is maninly a color packer/liner with stiffer springs or you could have a shader with lighter springs, its a trial and error type thing. I believe on my shader machine its got a medium guage spring in the back and a bit stiffer up front.
      you really shouldnt need to “bend” them other than just slightly. If you take a look on ebay or amazon you can find spring kits at a decent price pick one up and just start seeing what works for your style.
      Again..trial and error….thats all you can do. :ugeek:

Viper65

@KitchenWizard wrote:

@bobbylink wrote:

I haven’t done any color yet, so I would like to know when coloring should I use a shader or liner?

@bobbylink wrote:

Also I keep reading about a soft back spring can anyone explain? Thanx a million.

The spring which the armature bar is attached to is the back spring. How stiff it is could pretty much be down to personal choice :)

Hmmmmm…..color packing machine could be a liner???!!!???? If your packing color would seem plausable that you would want something that is a bit harder hitting than your soft shader machine where you have to go over it 3-4 times for the color to take? make sense?

bobbylink

Makes perfect sense. I totally understand what you are saying. I just don’t have a lot of info on any of these matters until I receive my copy of “the book”. But I truly appreciate all the input that I am getting.

@Viper65 wrote:

@KitchenWizard wrote:

@bobbylink wrote:

@bobbylink wrote:

Hmmmmm…..color packing machine could be a liner???!!!???? If your packing color would seem plausable that you would want something that is a bit harder hitting than your soft shader machine where you have to go over it 3-4 times for the color to take? make sense?

I would only use a liner for color packing if I was doing some really tight corners, or highlights which need precise, defined edges. If it is a case of a solid or even blended filling, a shader will be much kinder to the client’s skin :D

Viper65

good answer! 8-)

Pistol Pete

Or you can do yourself a favor & switch to a rotary machine? Just a personal preference,they hit harder no more adjusting constantly,springs,coils,contact points & other stuff. I know I’m new to the forum but not the game.

TexasPT

what if they rotary doesn’t hit the way you like it to out of the box? That’s one thing I’ve always wondered.

Still going to try one some day.

Viper65

well. I got mine. Rotary’s are plug and play, you shouldnt have any problems with them right out of the box. Turn the power up, turn the power down. They hit more consistant and smooth than a coil machine. Most people think they hurt less than a coil, not the case. Im going to do a review on the ones i purchased in a few days here. I really do like mine for either shading or outline, it works just the same and its just as smooth everytime with nothing to mess with but the volts to use it at.

TexasPT

Can’t wait to get the full report and see some of your rotary work, Viper. You went Hildbrant, right? I’m wondering how they compare to those $30 Jackhammer ones you can get on amazon.

Viper65

Mark,
      Dont have time for the full report right now, but i did do some pig ears and they work excellent. Ill try and get a pic up here soon so you can see the work. I used the color that came with the kit, so i wasnt really impressed with that….but that has nothing to do with the machine itself. Ive been using the light weight Sniper, and the Valstrud Hitman mainly, I really like the way they feel and i can adjust the speed easily to accomodate shading or lining. The Sniper is quiet, very quiet, just a little motor hum and thats all, lines like champ, put in solid color and good even lines. The hitman is a bit noisier, but works equally as well as the Sniper. Spend the extra $10 and go for these, they work great. I will say this, youll need to wrap a rubber band around the machine about 3x, to stabilize the needle, once you do that the things just purrs like a kitten……no problem!

viper :twisted:

hutongsa

@bobbylink wrote:

I haven’t done any color yet, so I would like to know when coloring should I use a shader or liner? Also I keep reading about a soft back spring can anyone explain? Thanx a million.

The shader can done the color,but the liner can’t.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan