• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      jayboogink

So I am working on a practice skin with a quality shading machine. While I have a large contact gap and lowest voltage I can run without the machine bogging out, I am getting great results for light shading and layering staying really surfacy. Here’s my question: when I use the same machine for packing I make the contact gap much smaller, about the thickness of a nickel, and leave the same voltage. The machine runs much faster without bogging at all, but the A-bar hits the front coil. I never thought this was a problem but in the book I remember reading something about this having a negative affect. Can someone please enlighten me? Trying to find where in the book I saw this info.

A bar should hit the front coil –
      thats the sound you hear (the buzz)
      it should hit flat and solid –

Hint: get a piece of tape or a sticker – (very thin one)
      and tape over your front coil
      Notice how much better the sound of the machine…

jayboogink

They should always hit? Because the magnet still pulls the needle down enough to open the the contact circuit and the the spring returns to close the circuit again. It just runs really soft (soft hit and soft sound). Is this not a good method? I’ve only tried it on practice skins. Do you think it would be inconsistent?

wrathone11
      Participant

Yes, your armature bar should be making contact with the front coil, but should not touch the back coil.

messijesse

Any one here do grey washes?

I make my own washes from Kuro sumi. I dont get to use washes a lot. I was taught to to layout 3-5 little cups 1 drop, 2 drops, 3 drops and so on, filled with distilled water. The few times I used them they came out good. My concern is: Can I use the same method for portraits? Because i mostly tattoo letters my gradients are usually short (not alot of tones or gradients). I just whip down or up. And then fine tune with another pass (to make it darker). I dont use circles technique for my letters, its too dark.

I been asked to do a “CHARRA” which means like cowgirl. You might seen them in Gangster tattoo, they are the ones with the big sombreros. Its alot of light shading.

This will be my first full grey wash tattoo. I know I can do it but is there anyone who have done portraits and could give some suggestions, please?
      for example, needles groups, light shading techniques.

thanks.

TexasPT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrLmtt8zWwQ

This ^^^ is Mario Barth talking about it. Good stuff.

The owner of this board has a pretty great video on the portal about it, too. https://www.teachmetotattoo.com/portal/tag/tutorial/

Hope these help a bit

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan