• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      leopardprints67
      Participant

Having issues with my machines. I want to do super soft shading, like for clouds without rake marks or anything. I’ve seen some shading that was almost creamy looking for lack of a better word, and smooth with a nearly perfect gradation. How the heck do I do that?! I’m not a tech person so not sure how to set my machines to do the super soft shading. Help?

TexasPT

My understanding is run a fast machine with a short stroke to get that look. The idea is that your machine is putting needle in skin more frequently as you move your hand so there is less space between impact. Use hand pressure rather than speed as you pull away darker to lighter to get the smooth effect.

To do it…

less air gap between contact screw and front spring. couple that with a stiff rear spring so there is more up and down and less energy lost in bending.

The other option is use a round mag to help with blending and use a series of gray washes. Start dark and blend out, then use a bit lighter and have the two come together seamless until you get to a 5% solution or so. There will be full saturation of the skin but because the ink is gradually lighter it will give that smooth effect.

This is from study and not necessarily practice. I’m still working on it myself.

Here is a GREAT video on making gray wash. http://www.youtube.com/user/TATTOOTRAINING#p/u/10/kflJALktUuU

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan