• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

This is a Japanese-inspired piece which I’ve been working on on a friend’s shoulder. The vine was free-handed by Sharpie, the blossoms and petals were stenciled on. I’m hoping to be able to talk my friend into letting me do some pale greywash cloudbars behind it all, but it might be a case of considering it finished ‘as is’…

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/TreadstoneArt/DSCN4035.jpg

evan

nice bro like the cherry blossems

@evan wrote:

nice bro like the cherry blossems

Thanks bro, I’m happy with how they’ve come out, as the white ink was a real bitch to use… I was using Scream ink, and it came out like poster paint and had to be thinned down to even get it to go into the skin. I think some windbars would help lift the design off the arm, but of course, that’ll be up to my friend, and how well my Jedi mind-tricks work :D

[Edit to add]
      The thing I’m really pleased with, is how the shading on the vine, leaves and in the petals came out (not too clear on this pic)

TexasPT

looks good. I’m with even on the blossoms…they look nice.

@TexasPT wrote:

looks good. I’m with even on the blossoms…they look nice.

Thanks, bro, my friend’s really happy with how it’s healing up :)

xDreamerx
      Participant

Nice and a decent size too. I’m a fan of free hand work, so good job there! Was there a reason you didnt use different shades of green for the fine to show depth or a perception of roundness to the vine? The more shading you add to the petals and vines it will look krazy kewl and realistic.
      Aside from this…I like the size, and the freehand status. I like the fact you have more ideas to add to it. Adding a background or more work to it shows good imagination and artistic abilities, which is needed as an artist. Good job

@xDreamerx wrote:

Nice and a decent size too. I’m a fan of free hand work, so good job there! Was there a reason you didnt use different shades of green for the fine to show depth or a perception of roundness to the vine? The more shading you add to the petals and vines it will look krazy kewl and realistic.
      Aside from this…I like the size, and the freehand status. I like the fact you have more ideas to add to it. Adding a background or more work to it shows good imagination and artistic abilities, which is needed as an artist. Good job

Thanks, amigo :) I did consider using different shades of green, but sadly, the lines for the vine were a bit rushed due to getting a lift, so when I refined them, I had to thicken up the lines on areas, which, under ideal circumstances should have had the highlights, so I figured rather than having inconsistent shading/highlights, I would just do the shading, and let that differentiate the color (although the shading doesn’t show up very well in the photo) Overall style changed half-way through the piece… Originally, the vine was going to be tribal-esque, then when my friend said about adding the apple blossoms, I decided to go traditional Japanese rather than photo realistic ( as that would’ve clashed something nasty with the vine) Personally speaking, I would love to add some wind and cloud bars as a background, but I’m leaving that choice down to my friend :D She’s also said she wants a cherry blossom and bonsai branch sleeve on her other arm now, which will be a nice balance with this piece, but will mean a much longer lining session to get the basic stencil down ( :x ) WIll be an awesome project though :) Thanks again for the feedback :)

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan