• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      danielboone0

Okay, here’s the deal. I am a total novice. I’m more of a pen and paint kind of artist but I really enjoy the lack of permanence that skin offers. That said, I’m not terribly concerned with the condition of my own skin. I’ll ink it up with as many beginner tattoos as it takes for me to figure out the art! Practice skins just don’t feel natural. The needle bounces around and you don’t have to adjust to the stretch of real skin. I’m using a Hildbrandt rotary tattoo kit. Its nothing fancy. Somehow, even though its only a $99 kit, the lines aren’t bad and I’m not terribly mad at the quality of what’s coming out (because its all on my thighs and I’m willing to cannibalize them to learn on real skin). I’m using Mom’s ink for color, Kuro Sumi for black. I’m running my machines at roughly 6.5v +/-.5v and my black is staying in fairly well. I realized quickly that I’m going too deep with the needles and I’m getting the feel for that. My color on the other hand, still needs some work. I see that the color ink is thicker and I’ve attempted to adjust the needle position relative to the tube so it grabs up more ink or less for washes or light lines… I love learning this way. It hurts like hell, but I’ve had professional tattoos. I keep doing what they do-comparing the feel of what I do to the feel of what they do. I compare the sound of the machines, the strokes…I just observe and copy. Basically, I don’t see any harm in learning on myself. I think it shows commitment! I haven’t had any infections. I’m using disposable stuff. I don’t have an autoclave, only an ultrasonic cleaner (I don’t re-use stuff and I only tattoo myself thus far). That said, HELLO! I hope you can help me when I have questions. :D

RavenSpirit

I don’t like practice either, I tried it once when I first got my guns and if feels like I am tattooing a mouse pad. One of things that I do with my gun for needle penetration is eye up the needles. I will adjust a few times to make sure the needle is only a dime width with it ejects out of the tube. Sometimes you have to adjust in the middle of a tattoo but it may be time consuming but I want a perfect piece to come out. So, that said you are not the only one that does not like practice skin. Welcome to the forum!! :D

xDreamerx
      Participant

That fake skin doesn’t really give you what you need….IMHO. Use pig skin. Or….do what most of us did back in the day….our own legs and arms lol. I eventually had my whole left arm from elbow to fingers lasered off cause I tattoo’ed it all as much as I could. I still have pix. I did stuff that didnt require too much trouble. Anyhow….try pig skin or your own skin so you can get a natural feel for skin and depth.

Eventually you’ll get to a point where you wont focus as much on the technical side of it and focus more on the art side. Even at that it will become 2nd nature to not over traumatize the skin….hard to explain it just happens like that after a while.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The forum ‘So Introduce Yourself!’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan