• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

We all know the rules of clean practice, gloves, bagging etc, but just how widespread are they in the wider world of tattooing? I had a tattoo done a few days back, and it was the first studio piece I’ve had done in years. The artist who owns the studio has been very helpful to me, and said that if I ever needed any supplies which a wholesaler would only provide to a studio, rather than a home artist, that he would be happy to order them on my behalf. He only has a one-man set up, so no point in asking him about the possibility of working with him, but I liked the quality of his work, and better yet, his studio is not even a ten minute walk from my house, so I decided to get something done when I had the spare cash. Knowing I would have cash for my birthday, I got a few quotes on some pieces, and made the booking. I’ve never seen him bagging his cords or his machines, and on the day, I get there, and he’s setting up his work station without gloves… :shock: This put me in an awkward position… Do I throw my toys out of the pram, demand my deposit back and walk out, thus risking a useful contact, or do I just let it slide? When it came to setting up his machine, he was wearing gloves (or I really would have walked out) and I can’t complain about the quality of his work… Obviously he’s licensed, and I have to admit, I did take a certain pride in knowing that I work to hygiene standards higher than a ‘studio artist’, but it did get me wondering: Is bagging actually a UK requirement, or just a US requirement? It felt good to know that I’ve gotten into habits which make my working practices beyond reproach, but it did also make me wonder, are the bagging requirements just overly cautious and prissy? Sure, it’s better to do it and be clean and not catch the AIDS from a client, but I bet Sailor Jerry never bagged his equipment :lol:

nytemareh
      Participant

Rules and laws change from state to state. I am a safe rather than sorry type of person. So i take every precaution i can.

@nytemareh wrote:

Rules and laws change from state to state. I am a safe rather than sorry type of person. So i take every precaution i can.

I know what you mean, and when I’m the one behind the machine, likewise, every precaution is taken. Gloves get swapped 3-4 times before I even get to setting up the machine. All my studio tattoos in the past, none of which were with bagged machines, and I’ve never had an issue with infection, yet for some reason, this time it registered more with me… I was still happy to sit down, as the studio itself was clean, but I did still think “I would be wearing gloves for that… I would be bagging those…” On the flipside of that though, he’s the one sitting in a studio with bookings and walk-ins, I’m the one slinging ink from home :shock:

nytemareh
      Participant

Its funny how when you study or do something you pick up on how others do things differently. Then in your head going that is not what i would d.o. Yet ether way is acceptable.

@KitchenWizard wrote:

if I ever needed any supplies which a wholesaler would only provide to a studio, rather than a home artist, that he would be happy to order them on my behalf.

Only supplies like that would be Machines and Power. Everything else you should be able to get – and check out world wide tattoo supply. they sell decent machines, just as good as the “ones you can only get if you work in a shop”

That “only work in a shop” hype is just HYPE… you will be okay!
      Just be safe – use disposable stuff.

@canvasyou wrote:

@KitchenWizard wrote:

if I ever needed any supplies which a wholesaler would only provide to a studio, rather than a home artist, that he would be happy to order them on my behalf.

Only supplies like that would be Machines and Power. Everything else you should be able to get – and check out world wide tattoo supply. they sell decent machines, just as good as the “ones you can only get if you work in a shop”

That “only work in a shop” hype is just HYPE… you will be okay!
      Just be safe – use disposable stuff.

To be honest, I’ve never had an issue obtaining the supplies I needed, but I thought it was a nice gesture for him to make the offer, rather than just threatening to break my thumbs for scratching on his turf :lol: And yeah, I only ever use disposable stuff, so no problem there :) Just made me laugh how my approach to set up hygiene was more thorough than his :lol:

Def. understand

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Rants and Raves’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan