• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

This probably isn’t the best place to post this, but I couldn’t find anywhere else applicable.

Yes, I know, starter kits are the devil, but at this point in time I really cant afford anything else and I am not looking to use this on any people, just something to get use to the machines, weights, inks, needles grips and tuning them, and then ruin a bunch of perfectly good pig skins and possibly the Christmas ham. I am waiting on my credit card to arrive so I can order stuff online (my bank cancelled my other one last time I tried to order stuff online as the card is issued in Australia, but I am now living in Canada so they figured it was stolen even though I told them I was moving) I am going to order a copy of *the book* as soon as it arrives but was also after an opinion on this kit http://www.elementtattoosupply.com/intenze-apprentice-tattoo-kit-p/36-10.htm
      I know everyone hates kits, but its hard for someone starting out to find out everything they need to order, let alone afford it in separate purchases with separate shipping costs. Its (from what I can tell *not much*) not one of those super cheap nasty kits from eBay that will fall apart when I go to use it, but if anyone has any further opinion or options in the under $300 price range for a learning tool, any advice would be appreciated.
      Thanks in advance, and please dont hate me for wanting a kit…

I definately feel you on this. The kit you are looking at seems to be one of the better deals I’ve seen. I’ve seen a kit my friend got from worldwide tattoo supply the intermediate one. and everything works though all is so cheaply made. the tatt machines you’ll probably find it beneficial to quickly buy a quality machine as the kit machines are so cheap and the quality in the tattoo really suffers as the frames get hot after use. a quality frame and quality machine was my friend’s major dilemma with the kit. but it all will work. I’m no expert on this subject but all the equipment will surely help you get a feel for some of the parts and how to use them.

xDreamerx
      Participant

Yes Ebay kits are considered trash and Japanese junk.

I’ve used Japanese junk before and even have the artwork to prove(not trash work either).

Example would be a decent frame from Superior or WWT could still do you good. Maybe you might need to change out the coils, A-Bar, springs and you could have a decent running machine.

I’ve always believed that no matter the machine build I should be able to manipulate the parts and get good work out of it. Maybe not as quick, but nonetheless good work.

Just my opinion, I’m sure it will differ from others here & there.

im still using my machines i got from a kit and i love them to bits ive also just ordered a Damascus steel machine off ebay for £50
      of course i did take the coils, A bar, springs and contact point off then add a yolk for one of them but the frames and capacitors are normally good :)

Thanks for all the honest replies, I was kinda expecting a thrashing like I would receive in any other tattoo forums. I know “kit” is a dirty word.
      I will be ordering it tonight. (and my book)

I think that kits have good and bad. The worst thing in the kit is usually the power supply. You have to get a good one like EMS or Pulse. There are some knock offs that are suprisingly good. You can get by with a kit machine for practice – and then just upgrade coils and springs. You have to start somnewhere though. Work on your drawing first! Be a good tattoo Artist before you are a tattooist… Also, try to get into a shop as an apprentice – you will learn alot fast! Best of Luck
      -CR Joran

jtdaltonsr

I will give MY experience…I purchased a kit from ebay, it was a”montersteele” brand package, and honestly dont regret it at all. I paid $75 for 4 machines, grips and power supply with needles and ink, practice skins. Now, I could tell when I got the machines of the quality of the parts, so they were only used for a short period on the practice skins that it came with. I then replaced with new coils, springs, front binding post. I bought probably around the same amount in parts as the kit, $75 for the extra peices and then had it tuned by a pro….HE was even shocked that they ran so well! THAT is my experience, but be very cautious as well. A friend of a friend once bought a kit, and it came “rusty” and the pwr supply, what crap. good thing is, at least u will have some spare frames to practice some building on if nothing else! Also, Ive had my hands on some spalding rogers, and one pulse and u actually CAN feel the difference in quality with these machines, but I guess with everything behind tattooing, its all preference. Get those machines tuned with the correct coils, springs, etc. to your liking, and you WONT regret. Anyways, thats MY two cents. Hope it helps!

Make sure you are using disposible tubes!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan