• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      jjdempsey3

My first time tattooing on fruit …… has anyone else used a honeydew melon …. do they always shade so quickly ?? even with the most diluted inks … was having trouble getting a light shade ….. please critique away so I can learn …. I was using a Storm Rotary for lining 6.5 v 7 RL and for shading a Storm Rotary Adjustable long stroke 4.7 v 7 Mag

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y528/John_James_Dempsey_III/tattoo-melon_zps699a6916.jpg

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

A nice big piece JJ! :)
      Looks pretty good. I think the big issue with the Melon is it doesnt “heal” like normal skin. A lot of the times your lighter shades will actually go in dark, and lighten as the tattoo heals. What are you using for your light shades? How much black? are you using Witch Hazel? Distilled water? :)

jjdempsey3

Thanks ….

I am using Kuro Sumi outlining ink …. in a medium cup I filled about half way with ink then topped off with distilled water ….. Another cup I just had distilled water and dipping from the half mixture to try and get lighter ….. I have never tried witch hazel … I just got Intenze special shading solution, haven’t tried it yet

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

I usually set up a few cups for my work. I also use Kuro Sumi outlining ink.

Cup 1: 100% ink
      Cup 2: 50% ink, 2 drops of witch hazel, distilled water
      Cup 3: 25% Ink, 3 drops of witch hazel, distilled water
      Cup 4: 4 drops of ink, 4 drops of witch hazel, distilled water

You could also use your intenze shading solution instead of witch hazel :)

jjdempsey3

Thanks Ramenuzumaki for your insight ….. I will try that later

Do you use curved mags for your shading ??

also someone suggested to me that if I run my shader about 60 % duty (fast running, soft hitting as he put it) I will get better blends with less skin trauma … is this correct ???

Thanks again

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

My shader runs at 51% duty, and I used weaved mags :)
      Curved mags are arguably better since they are curved and shape to the skin better, and you can use them on angles and such. i am just used to my weaved mags so i stick to what works :)

robroy289
      Participant

WOW! nice work on that melon! lol!

I have found that what Ramen suggested is best for me too. I mix mine in 1 oz bottles instead so I have a consistent batch of ink that will go for a few sessions. I use coils, and I agree that a longer throw, softer springs, and about 9.0 of amps works for me. The beauty of tattooing is that it’s all about what works for the individual. I never used a rotary machine….So I couldn’t say…CAn i suggest pig skin for practice. Or your own, if you feel courageous. I did both and learned quick how to get a good shade. Skin is delicate, but not that delicate. Pack it in, but it’s all in the practice. Once you see how diluted inks heal, you will know what to adjust and so on. I hope this helps.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan