• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      TexasPT

Initially I have been using the tip as a guide to lay down lines. Today, after watching countless videos, I had the needle sticking out a bit further and never let the tip touch the practice skin. This is SO much easier it seems.

Is one better than the other or is it just preference? I think I’m going to work with this style for a while, especially on my next real tattoo, and see how it translates to skin.

Mark

@TexasPT wrote:

Initially I have been using the tip as a guide to lay down lines. Today, after watching countless videos, I had the needle sticking out a bit further and never let the tip touch the practice skin. This is SO much easier it seems.

Is one better than the other or is it just preference? I think I’m going to work with this style for a while, especially on my next real tattoo, and see how it translates to skin.

Mark

I was told to have about 3mm worth of needle sticking out of the tip, and use the edge of the machine hex key as a gauge to line up with. I didn’t have a spare needle when I took this pic, but essentially, you are looking at: Dark grey surface, lighter grey surface, thin white line, light grey surface. And you want the tip of the needle to be just below the thin white line :)

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/TreadstoneArt/DSCN3947.jpg

At least, that’s what I’ve been told, and never had a problem with lines blowing out for going too deep :)

[Edit to add]
      The hex key for most of the machine’s bolts, not the hex key for the bolts which hold the back spring in place :) (metal tip was only used here for illustrative purposes, I don’t actually tattoo with them, just disposables :) )

TexasPT

Cool, thanks. And I’m guessing you don’t go all the way to the tip? I had my needles, initially, about half that hex key and drug the tip along the skin (or practice skin). I found out today I have MUCH more control not doing that.

@TexasPT wrote:

Cool, thanks. And I’m guessing you don’t go all the way to the tip? I had my needles, initially, about half that hex key and drug the tip along the skin (or practice skin). I found out today I have MUCH more control not doing that.

No worries, bro :) No, I don’t push the needle in all the way to the tip, I just pivot my hand on the edge behind the little finger, till the tip of the needle is breaking the skin (also acts as another contact point for stretching if needbe) Something else I’d noticed I was doing, and I’m not sure which artist on which show I picked it up from, but when I’m dipping the needle in the ink, I’ll extend my little finger, and touch that to the working surface as I dip, so the tip of the needle doesn’t go too deep and hit the bottom of the ink cap :)

When you are first starting out – utilize the tube. Have needle sticking out not more than a dime (while it is running it will peek out a bit more). Then as you get an idea for the acceptable depth – you can work your way up to useing no tube.

I still will rely on the tube when I am doing long single pass curved lines.

The rest of the time – I am having my needle out.

Tend to get better ink control (as it is coming out of the tattoo tube) and you can see a bit better where you are working.

But it is a preference thing.

Rememeber to ask your mentor – get an apprenticeship – don’t tattoo humans until you know what you are doing and are licensed if your state requires it. If you do tattoo humans – ensure that you use disposible tubes!

TexasPT

Thanks for the input. Today I played again, both ways to see which was better. Not sure one was better than the other. I like seeing the needle with it further out but there is a “safety net” feeling of using the tube. I’ll keep practicing until one consistently feels better than the other.

I think what was messing up my lines (besides the obvious answer, me) was my machine was swinging around above my hand. So not only was I focusing on lines…I was trying to keep that machine steady. Today on practice skins I took a surgical lap and placed it between my hand and the bottom of my machine. My lines were SO much better…felt like having a pencil in my hand rather than an awkward machine. Something about keeping it snug just instilled some confidence I guess. Nice thing is you just trash it when you’re done.

Mark

xDreamerx
      Participant

Agreed, either riding the tube or needle can help depending on situation. I ride the needle so I can see the tube and that gives me better visuals while I work. I used to ride the tube when doing line work, but hated that I couldn’t see what the needle was doing back then.

After a while you will get a feel for depth and skin your working on without having to dedicate soo much attention to the technicality of it and more artistic ability to be creative. All in time you will get there. Canvas’s book explains this stuff so get the book if you haven’t already.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan