• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      El Lobo Loco

There seems to be some conflicting information about the potential for transmission of prion diseases through the tattoo procedure. I feel it is really important to know if there is a significant risk of this occuring. Respected Californian tattoo artist Pat Fish has posted the following on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoZLVHUVQcU

However, Utah medically trained tattooist Dr. Lowrey has posted an even more detailed blog debating the risk: http://www.happy-valley-tattoo.com/2009/04/prion-disease-from-tattooing.html

To complicate things further, it seems that the American Dental Association considers that there IS a risk of human transference in dental practice, which would suggest the same of tattooing.

As a training artist without an apprenticeship ( and without an autoclave in any case) I plan on only using disposable tubes and grips etc myself, but what do other people think? :?:

Dr. Lowrey’s article is very helpful! I have a feeling that controversy will spin about this topic for quite a while. Some artists prefer to not chance contamination and always use disposable tubes, whereas others trust the effectiveness of sterilization and the autoclave; even dentists and doctors rely on this method. I’m interested in hearing more about both sides of this debate, because I don’t know enough about prions and other potentially hazardous transmit tables.
      Thanks for posting this, I can’t wait to hear more on it from other artists,

@secret agent X-9 wrote:

Some artists prefer to not chance contamination and always use disposable tubes, whereas others trust the effectiveness of sterilization and the autoclave; even dentists and doctors rely on this method.

The question is NOT “does the autoclave work” it is “are tattoo artists being properly trained on how to use / test the autoclave”.
      Does that make sense?
      Lack of enforcement and education is the real issue –
      You also have to factor in the part about the tubes not being properly broken down and scrubbed –
      anyone who has used metal tips and tubes knows that you “dont use white ink” in them…the reason is because the “left over or residual pigments” in the tube / tips will come out int he white..
      So it is acceptable to assume that the residual was sterilized?
      I am sure it will be fine – and I have used metal tubes and tips for a long time… but now I use disposable tubes exclusively.

good debate

xDreamerx
      Participant

Disposables seem to be a better comforter to clients……..

jcarmack
      Participant

When steel tubes and tips are used you have to be careful in their cleaning. After use they need to be disassembled and placed in a cool or warm container with a cleaning agent. Keeping them wet doesn’t allow the body fluids and inks to dry out and harden. Also, never use hot water as it will cause the contaminates to bond even more with the tubes and tips. Some artists use water mixed with bleach and a non-reactive detergent in their holding solution. When you get ready to clean everything you need to wear protective gear. You can go to a chemical sales website and buy the good quality rubber gloves and rubber apron that you need to wear to keep yourself from getting contaminated. Also, get a face shield for when you scrub the tubes. Next fill up a sink with warm water and detergent. Using your tube brushes you want to scrub every tube and tip UNDER WATER to keep any water from splashing up from the brushing into your eyes or anywhere else on your body. After you’ve scrubbed them they need to be placed in a rinse sink. From there you can dry them with a lint free towel before placing them in the ultrasonic cleaner. Always use the proper ultrasonic cleaner chemicals and change the fluid as recommended by the manufacturer. The ultrasonic cleaner will remove any contaminants that you missed in your initial cleaning. After the ultrasonic cycle has finished you can dry all the tubes and tips off while still wearing protective gear and then place them in your autoclave sleeve / pouches. If you’re using an autoclave you need to be running it properly and be schooled on it’s use. You also need to have regular testing done to make sure that you don’t have and spores or fungal issues with your autoclave. The autoclave needs to be cleaned properly and serviced on a regular basis and testing needs to be documented. After the autoclave cycle has been run you need to allow the pouches to air dry and then you can place everything in a container or a cabinet that will protect them from dirt and other contaminants.

As discussed before, with the invention of the single use tubes and tips and the quality and cost it makes sense to just buy them these days and it keeps you from dealing with the long and cumbersome task of sterilizing all the tubes and tips every time.

leena

TSE (also known as prion diseases) are a group of progressive conditions affecting the brain and nervous systems of many animals and also humans.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan