• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Any words of advice?

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

it looks alright but I can see a few things that are bothering me
      the first thing i notice is your hannya looks too new school to match the rest of the design. japanese is my specialty, so when people make it new school it kinda irks me
      it doesnt flow with the rest of the traditional piece
      you need to do a little more practice with your gradients. your hannya looks a lot like a colouring book D:
      the fact that the piece is near a solid black superman logo also takes away from the piece
      it draws the eye AWAY from the japanese
      the clouds in the background of your hand dont match the japanese clouds elsewhere. you should try to be a little more uniform
      your cherry blossoms look good, but you should have stuck to one style of blossom not two
      the colours in your lotus look a little dirty/mucky
      i really like teh design and colours of the koi :)
      the hand is pretty good but you should have put some black in there. you can barely see the details of the hand
      you need to work ony our black gradients as well. the shading in your clouds isnt very smooth like it should be for japanese clouds.
      your hannya needs some larger fangs, and the teeth should have been done differently.
      the horns seem a little small for me
      do some research on hannya. there are very specific colours for them used in the japanese Noh theatre: white, red, and dark red
      the mouth should also have been different. you want more of a scornful or forlorn look to it. they are supposed to be both angry, and sad depending on the angle of the mask itself.
      if you look at the left side of your hands you made it solid black. it doesnt match the other side of your hand
      my biggest concern is that this is a coverup
      is this your first one?
      you missed some of the main fundmentals of a coverup
      you need to either use darker tones, or have a very busy design to do a good cover up. you have neither here, so your coverup shows through very easily, and there is barely anything to draw the view away from the cover site. its one of the first things that i noticed. that and the shading in your clouds. they look like they just end. you need a softer flow between your black tones

im sorry if this seems harsh, but japanese is my life. im just trying to give you pointers to help improve your work, and keep it on the straight and narrow. this is in no way a personal attack, nor am i trying to be rude or discourage you. on the contrary. im trying to encourage you to improve, and work on your designs. try drawing a lot of japanese before tattooing it. there are strict rules for it imo.

here are some Hannya I drew for examples:
      http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/560954_10152056234290251_749962931_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/426655_10152056233780251_92955940_n.jpg

Thankyou. I dont take it as harsh at all. I need as much advice as I can get. I must start with though, that the superman and some of the other work is not mine, and that I am trying to fill in his arm and lose some of the old stuff. I do love the Japanese style of tattooing and would love to do more. The shade variations on him is difficult in some areas. He was once a heavy person, and lost a lot of weight. Which seems to make it difficult to penetrate the skin in some areas. But I do know that I need quite a biit of practice in these areas as well. Thank you again.

robroy289
      Participant

@Ramenuzumaki wrote:

it looks alright but I can see a few things that are bothering me
      the first thing i notice is your hannya looks too new school to match the rest of the design. japanese is my specialty, so when people make it new school it kinda irks me
      it doesnt flow with the rest of the traditional piece
      you need to do a little more practice with your gradients. your hannya looks a lot like a colouring book D:
      the fact that the piece is near a solid black superman logo also takes away from the piece
      it draws the eye AWAY from the japanese
      the clouds in the background of your hand dont match the japanese clouds elsewhere. you should try to be a little more uniform
      your cherry blossoms look good, but you should have stuck to one style of blossom not two
      the colours in your lotus look a little dirty/mucky
      i really like teh design and colours of the koi :)
      the hand is pretty good but you should have put some black in there. you can barely see the details of the hand
      you need to work ony our black gradients as well. the shading in your clouds isnt very smooth like it should be for japanese clouds.
      your hannya needs some larger fangs, and the teeth should have been done differently.
      the horns seem a little small for me
      do some research on hannya. there are very specific colours for them used in the japanese Noh theatre: white, red, and dark red
      the mouth should also have been different. you want more of a scornful or forlorn look to it. they are supposed to be both angry, and sad depending on the angle of the mask itself.
      if you look at the left side of your hands you made it solid black. it doesnt match the other side of your hand
      my biggest concern is that this is a coverup
      is this your first one?
      you missed some of the main fundmentals of a coverup
      you need to either use darker tones, or have a very busy design to do a good cover up. you have neither here, so your coverup shows through very easily, and there is barely anything to draw the view away from the cover site. its one of the first things that i noticed. that and the shading in your clouds. they look like they just end. you need a softer flow between your black tones

im sorry if this seems harsh, but japanese is my life. im just trying to give you pointers to help improve your work, and keep it on the straight and narrow. this is in no way a personal attack, nor am i trying to be rude or discourage you. on the contrary. im trying to encourage you to improve, and work on your designs. try drawing a lot of japanese before tattooing it. there are strict rules for it imo.

here are some Hannya I drew for examples:
      http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/560954_10152056234290251_749962931_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/426655_10152056233780251_92955940_n.jpg

I think he nailed most of the key points, but all in all you did good just do alot more research when trying to take on a piece like this.

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

Yeah the old stuff just needs to go haha
      do your three-point-stretch, and you should be good
      the problem is the skin is looser so its hard to get it nice n tight to get the pigment in
      just need some practice bro!
      honeydew melons work wonders

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan