• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Kurgin

He is a pic of my very first time at doing a tat. I know the lines aren’t smooth. it is half a rose and half a skull. I got the idea from a photo I seen online. I know it is copping but I ant to try this first. Please comment on it. All criticism will be accepted. The stencil wore off before I got to the skull so that side of the tat I had to freehand it. Most of the people I have talked to say it is not bad for a first timer. I would like to hear from pros though.

Randy5
      Participant

I’m not a pro, but I think for your first tattoo it’s not bad. I think you just bit off more than you can chew by picking such a large piece at first. I started smaller. The lines look straight, but some look shallow, some look good and dark. Tattooing yourself is hard. I would say let it heal and then go back in and rework lines and start shading but do it in 3 or 4 sessions. You need to go slow at first. Congrats on taking the plunge!

Kurgin

Thanks for the compliment. I done this on my calf. It is about the size of a baseball. As far as the lines, I noticed it too. I am waiting for a complete heal so I can see the areas of improvement, what the lines look like and what I need to do to correct it. I am an over achiever. I did not want something small. I wanted something a little complicated. I believe this is a simple but complex piece. Thanks again for the compliment.

TexasPT

I’d say, speaking from experience, lay off of skin until you are more comfortable knowing exactly where your needle is going. You have a lot of “double vision” lines there…and it’s just form not being comfortable with where the needle exits your tube and being able to see and put it where you want.

Practice skins helped me with this.

It looks like you are probably moving your hand too fast as well, or needle depth isn’t correct, or skin stretch isn’t happening. Find out why your linee depth inconsistent and work towards fixing that. For me it was moving too fast initially.

Most of your friends WILL tell you that it looks good…friends do that. It’s why we have them as friends. Look for honesty…be honest with yourself. Would you be happy if someone tattooed this on you?

What’s really cool is you’ll get to use this piece as a learning experience when you rework lines, add shading, etc. I have one on my thigh I’ve gone after FOUR times…it looked just like this one when I started. :)

You’re doing great…just keep at it.

Mark

Viper65

@TexasPT wrote:

I’d say, speaking from experience, lay off of skin until you are more comfortable knowing exactly where your needle is going. You have a lot of “double vision” lines there…and it’s just form not being comfortable with where the needle exits your tube and being able to see and put it where you want.

It looks like you are probably moving your hand too fast as well, or needle depth isn’t correct, or skin stretch isn’t happening. Find out why your linee depth inconsistent and work towards fixing that. For me it was moving too fast initially.

Most of your friends WILL tell you that it looks good…friends do that. It’s why we have them as friends. Look for honesty…be honest with yourself. Would you be happy if someone tattooed this on you?

What’s really cool is you’ll get to use this piece as a learning experience when you rework lines, add shading, etc. I have one on my thigh I’ve gone after FOUR times…it looked just like this one when I started. :)

Mark

Thank you,….my thoughts exactly! 8-)

cjmahone66

@Viper65 wrote:

@TexasPT wrote:

Mark

Thank you,….my thoughts exactly! 8-)

i agree with this. try some piggy skin for while, it will help you get used to anticipating your needle. i used to get a lot of pig feet at the asian market for really cheap.

Kurgin

Thanks for the input. The problem I am having with the pig skins is they work like reals skin but you do not have to stretch then as much as reals skin. Are there any other Ideas that may help. I know that it needs work but that is why I done it on myself. I will be reworking it until I get use to the machine and needle. I did not expect perfection. I knew it was going to have to be redone a number of times. But thanks to everyone for the positive feedback.

Viper65

Although you dont have to stretch it, I always do anyway, get used to it, its good practice…… :D

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan