• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      SirBlazeAloT

Hey guys. new artist here, working on learning to tattoo properly. I received my started kit. I have read thousands of articles and watched hundreds of videos on techniques, set up, replacement pieces, sterilization, cross contamination, and I even scheduled my appointment to take a ‘blood born pathogen’ class/lessons.

ANYWAYS. From what Ive head/seen, when outlining your machine needs to be set at like 6-7volts. and outlining should be lower and more around 5-6 volts? Is this correct? And if so I have an issue:

My machine will only run on 8volts MINIMUM… If I put it on 6-7 It will ONLY run if I press the foot pedal and then flick the armature bar down once. Then it will run on the lower volts but as soon as I let off the pedal It dies and the only way to run it again is to “flick start it”: Ive taken BOTH machines completely apart and re assembled them to ensure it was put together properly..

Any suggestions? Ideas?…. Anything? Ive been practicing on fruits and a few sheets of practice skin I have and then my new ‘scratch pad’ which is MY leg.. the lines lay at the higher volts but sometimes I find myself going over lines a few times/ and it seems like it hurts worse than it should since its running at higher volts from 8-9 volts..

Is it common for “starter kit machines” to not run on the correct voltage? I ordered a professional gun that will be here on the 18th so im hoping that helps solve my issue. If that doesn’t work then could it possibly be a shitty amp/power supply? Any input would be helpful. THANKS! :roll: :!: :?:

Viper65

The machine could run at 100volts as long as it sounds good you should be fine. Every machine is different there is no “Set” voltage to run one at but 8 doesnt sound too bad to start out. Have you adjusted the contact screw to open or close the gap? Also, are you trying to tune a liner or shader?? If youve watched the videos and done the homework you should be able to tune that machine to do what ever you please.
      When you refer to starter kit, where did you get it? Is it a cheap chinese made machine? Just wondering…. ;)

Troub1edSou1z
      Participant

like viper said there is no set voltage. you have to tune your machines to where the components work in unison with one another. i have a shader i use, that runs at 8.5 volts. i have tried to tune it for lower volts, it doesnt want to run that low. your machine will tell you where it likes to be, you just have to look, and listen. i also have a liner that sings at 7 volts.

SirBlazeAloT

@Troub1edSou1z wrote:

like viper said there is no set voltage. you have to tune your machines to where the components work in unison with one another. i have a shader i use, that runs at 8.5 volts. i have tried to tune it for lower volts, it doesnt want to run that low. your machine will tell you where it likes to be, you just have to look, and listen. i also have a liner that sings at 7 volts.

Thanks for the advice guys. Its not a hildbrand or whatever, this is a “self put together” kit that came with 2 machines: power supple, 6 ink colors; 150 needles/RS/RL/RM /FLATS ECT: Practice skin: cords: gromets: rubber bands: extra front springs: gloves: A&D Ointment: tips/tubs/grips/tools for the machines ect.. I knw it was “self put together” because everything was in separate boxes/baggies ect all packed down into one big box. I got it off ebay. Anyways after the advice I took from you guys I broke down BOTH machines. Completely. Then took the parts I liked and built one machine completely back together. It will now sing at 5volts and up :)! It is running MUCH more smoother now and isnt hurting nearly as much when I lay lines on my leg!

This site has been very helpful. Im going to order the book next week when I get paid! By the way Im only practicing on myself at the moment, I found fruits and practice skin to be nothing like real skin so I am getting better practice on myself than the alternatives. Thanks again guys

Viper65

Id also recommend you read “into the skin” its sold by Superior tattoo, you can also find on AMAZON.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan