• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      JDawnPearls

Why do I want to tattoo?

Let me start with what I see when I walk into a tattoo shop, or when I meet several tattooed individuals. A lot of the time I get the impression that its a “trend” and “fad” something to feel “a part of” in which you are either a hard rocker, a punk, a rebellion or whatever …

I go to a hair stylist that is all about this, they all have tattoos, bad hair color (even though they are great stylists) and torn clothes. Everyone is younger than me (I am 30) and they listen to punk rock.

Look – I love Rock and Roll – I don’t mean Rock that hurts your ears, I mean Metallica, AC/DC and even Bad Company, Aerosmith – Led Zeppellin, and many of the older rock. I love good art and fun things but let me get this straight….

I am not in it to be a goth punk rocking rebellion tattooist. I am not it for the trend, the fad, nor am I in it to be part of a clan, a click or groupies. I congratulate everyone who expresses their individualisms in these ways and I encourage them to do it so much – but I do not want to be shunned for being ordinary and here it is ….

I am in it for the ART. I love art. I love art, I love creativity. I like tattoos because I like their art. Their potential to be amazing. Their significance to the individual. I enjoy helping others celebrate themselves, for them to be happy and inspired. I am in it for the affect it has on others – but I will not let anyone expect from me to be anything other than the artist that I am, and to celebrate art as art and not a fad.

Lennart82
      Participant

Well said there :D

Kind of have it the same way.

JDawnPearls

Thanks!!! I was sorta expecting ridicule for being upset over punks, or whatever it is that I encounter….

Infamous
      Participant

I don’t think you’ll find any ridicule here, at least not for that reason lol

Lennart82
      Participant

No! Absolutely no ridicule here… :D (*Whats a redicule?*)

But the scene has changed over the last few years, you dont have to be punk or rock to have a tattoo. At my irl job, theres a lawyer, always wearing white shirts, tie and matching socks, and a briefcase as an assesorie. He has a full tattoo bodysuit.

Last week, my heart kinda meltet away, and my knees startet to be squizy. I was out shopping, when I saw this old silver haired lady. My best guess, 80 or so of age. Got this nice grandmother dress with bright yellow flowers. Sleeveless dress. On her shoulder, I saw a brand new shiny tattoo of a sun flower.
      I almost dropped my milk, and wanted to gives this lady a hug, just for the hell of it.

Tattoos have moved from the streetsmart punk ass gothic wannaby rebelled tattoed gangster hiphopper biker (I……… cant think of anymore) to the suburbans, to the family man, to the house wife, to the computersoftware develeper, engineer and the high judge. If the tattoo business ever had its haydays, its at this day and age. Today, everybody wants to express themselves in bodyart. Its becoming normal to have a tattoo, then not to have a tattoo.
      I know, some will say, that tattoo business had its hayday way back when. BUT when you look at it, NO. Allright, they godfarthers of tattoos who invented styles and that, was from that age. Back ally tattoo parlours, steril enviroments (WHATS THAT) alcohol, drugs and so on. The art is beeing perfected, new hights is being held. And now is the time for tattoos to shine brighter than ever.
      (I will stop now……..) :ugeek:

Infamous
      Participant

I approve of the comment above me

angie

im in for the art too! tho i link the bad girl style hihi! not punk just my own style lol :)

i love the olds rock band i was named after one awesome song for the stone! acdc is by far my favorite band on hearth!!! i agree with you :)

theres just different style and type of person and personnallity :)

JDawnPearls

I just remember walking into pralor after parlor and finding an intimidating tone by big men in pants they an’t keep on and hats that won’t shade their eyes very well … then running into their “girls” who look like their clothes shrunk and they failed English class. The apprentice that was working there was the same, and the last add I saw about apprentice job said “no relationships” and “12 hours a day” etc etc as if I am a 16 year old day dreamer and not a mom with kids.

I LOVE rock and roll, ACDC, and all the good stuff that makes your heart flutter. But I don’t dress that way, and I don’t want to give anything to my future clients other than a true artistic approach – not an intimidating atmosphere.

angie

i think professionnalisme is really important :) i have a bad girl look (biker) whitout looking like a hooker !
      the first thing your client will look is you than if its clean and a profesionnal studio..

you can have a style not a problem as long as its respecfull for you and the client! as an artist i do express my artistic side on my style..
      i love to have my own original style!

JDawnPearls

I love style expression, I just don’t like the intimidation. I didn’t see it everywhere, but more in places I think didn’t have the same amount of professionalism. I walked into a studio the other day and the first impression you get is you are looking at an art gallery. Then, you have your tattoo receptionist, a guy with a colorful cap, glasses, and obviously an artist. Completely respectful, nice, patient and very able to handle customers.

He had style. The place was clean. It was pleasant.

THAT is what I like.

angie

exactly :)

Ines

Living, walking art… I love it, painted a lot, even did airbrushing on bikes, but nothing compares seeings your art walk around… as for styles and fashion punk or rock or bikers … I dont really follow , you adapt to the style your customer want …

Lennart82
      Participant

If you look at me first time around, your first true expression of me would be. “20 year old kid, looking like he just came out of highschool. style= casual. Music likes; pop. And so on.
      Infact I’m 31, father of two kids, working as a tax agent, making arts and portraits, doing tattoos everytime I can and listening to goth/dark rock, techno and opera.
      Dont judge a book by its cover, but thats not the case, when a virgin tattoo wanter, walks in to the tattoo parlor, being greeted by Spike, a two ton muscle biker, with face tattoos, and with a michael clark duncan voice. The skin virgin swallows deep, and all bloods removed from the poor things face.
      Now Spike could be the best damn artist in the whole wide world, but that virgin isent that comfortable. Being judge on apperence.
      Being judged on attitude, these demi god apprentices, who thinks they are gods gift to the business, are worse. Dont giving crack about the costumer. This topic has been on several occaions in this forum. But that, I am way better then the client, and I’m just to good to do what they want, I have to be rude.

JDawnPearls

For me its more about how the client is approached and greeted. I’ve known some great artists that have a lot of expression in their style. Hell, my brother is a tattoo artist. But for me what makes a difference is the way a customer is handled. This is the same in any industry you walk to – not just tattoos.

Its not the art style I refer to, its the atmosphere. You want to get more people to come back? Give them an atmosphere that is welcoming. This is customer service 101. How many times have you walked into a place and walked back out because of the unpleasant experience before a purchase is even made?

Lennart82
      Participant

Yeah, I have been to a few shops, with a more… characteristic feel to it. You’ve been greeted by a big hairy dog. And the guy behind the counter, when he talks to you, sounds like hes too lazy to even take a dump.

When I had my first tattoo, it was at a studio, were the tattooist, looked at me, like I was some low class trailer trash scum. He didnt even bother telling what he was about to do. He rolled his eyes, when I gave him, my own design I wanted tattooed. He then placed the stencil on my, didnt say a word. Just started tattooing. The only thing he said was, “done. that will be 110$, put some creme on it, every 5 hour. Goodbye”.
      Costumer service 101? Well he was too good for any kind of service.
      And he actually taught me something very important. “Never be like him!”

JDawnPearls

exactly.

Infamous
      Participant

To me it is a great honor for someone to choose to have my art placed on their body forever, so I treat them accordingly. Simple as that

angie

im with infamous :) you said it all !

Infamous
      Participant

:D Thanks!

Lennart82
      Participant

Exactly as Infamous put it. :D

JDawnPearls

Infamous DID say it pretty darn well. Well said!

Spider
      Participant

Many of us do it for the love of what we do, tattoo that is. And tbh anyone who says they aren’t in it professionally for the money is a flat out liar! OF Course we are in it for the money when you finally make the leap to go pro, otherwise why charge anything for your art, just goto the shop and throw up your sign that says, “All ink is FREEEEE!”. Tattooing has come along way in just the last 15 years. Some of the old dogs that have helped to define a new way of thinking in the industry, Freddy Negrete, Mark Mahoney, Nikko Hurtado etc. Guys like these have done away with the you gotta look like a cross between a Chewbacca and a biker with a pissy attitude and no social skills at all stereotype of the bygone days. NO KIDDING, in my area every single shop you go into is playing this screaming gutteral satanic crap somewhere, they all look at you when you walk in the door like you just took a dump on the floor and don’t even THINK about bringing in something you drew up! I’ve had customers come into my shop and were actually surprised to see absolutely no flash on the walls, a local radio station on the radio, no TV, Playstation, bright lights, and guys that actually STAND UP and shake thier hands when they come in and introduce themselves.
      I do this in my life for the love of the art AND the money. I can’t think of a better existence for myself than to be able to do what I love every single day AND pay my bills and put money in the bank. The last time my guy had a 1000 dollar day he was a happy camper. When the shop breaks 5 grand during the month I’m a happy camper. And the fact that I have people stopping me to say Hi sporting my art, talking about my art, showing off my art is an absolute plus!
      My style may put off some of the more “country” folks around my area, I wear baggy jeans and never ever ever button any but the top 3 buttons of the shirt I’m wearing for the day. I have been told I dress a little thugish, ah well. However, I am 100% professional, my artist is always professional, my shop is always professional. Anything less gets no results! So do it for the love YES! but don’t forget about the bills too!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Rants and Raves’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan