• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

This is a piece I was working on yesterday. It was 100% hand-drawn rather than stenciled, but there are sections much thicker than I intended, as while working on the section directly above the ‘head’, the client would not stay still, so I had to make it all proportionaly larger to accomodate the fucked up lines her movements caused. Also, her skin was a nightmare to stretch, and at some points, I had her, another friend and myself all gloved up and trying to stretch the skin so the ink would go in. It still needs filling in, and I need to go over the heartline with white. Not happy at all with this piece, not happy with dealing with the client (who’s been fucking me around with bookings for over a month) and I just want to get it over and done with, when it should at least then look like solid piece of tribal… :roll:

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r44/TreadstoneArt/DSCN4124.jpg

TexasPT

I like the design. I don’t think there is anything there you won’t be able to clean up. Did you use the liner for the tight corners before you switched to a shading/mag needle?

Bummer is you didn’t finish…so you’ll have to start fucking with her all over again about booking to get it done.

@TexasPT wrote:

I like the design. I don’t think there is anything there you won’t be able to clean up. Did you use the liner for the tight corners before you switched to a shading/mag needle?

Thanks,bro, it’s actually her own design, I just figured it was easier to freehand it on rather than stencil it just so I could get the lines to flow perfectly with the curve of her hip, rather than looking like a pasted on sticker :) Absolutely, filling will cover all the miss-lines, it was just frustrating as hell trying to tattoo a ‘mover’ :D Yes, I used the liner for the corners before switching to a round shader. I might pick up a mag to do the fill though, just so I can get it over and done with quickly (we settled the price before starting as an incentive for her to get the design big, rather than the 2 inch POS version she originally wanted on her neck, so I won’t be getting more money regardless how long the next session takes) so it’s over and done with :D

@TexasPT wrote:

Bummer is you didn’t finish…so you’ll have to start fucking with her all over again about booking to get it done.

Yeah, I’m not looking forward to that part :roll: To be fair to her, it wasn’t her fault that all the lines needed re-doing with another person stretching the skin to get a decent line in, that’s just the nature of her skin, and she did sit like a champ, despite being in real pain getting the filling done in such a sensitive area, I just know it’s going to be a nightmare pinning her down to a date :?

TexasPT

Might be worth the $30 for a topical to numb her up.

@TexasPT wrote:

Might be worth the $30 for a topical to numb her up.

Nah, she’s fucked me around too much to deserve an easy tattoo, she’ll take the pain and like it :D Besides, I’ve heard that numbing cream affects how the skin reacts under the needle, so I’d just as sooner not use it anyway :D

TexasPT

I’ve never heard about bad reactions…I’m thinking of getting some just to see. I’ll let you know if I do.

@TexasPT wrote:

I’ve never heard about bad reactions…I’m thinking of getting some just to see. I’ll let you know if I do.

Not so much a case of allergy-type reactions, from what I heard, it’s the texture/workability of the skin which can be altered. I did actually buy some numbing cream a few months back, but never actually used it, because it had to be applied several hours before the tattoo, so it seemed more hassle than it was worth, and then I heard about the change in skin properties, so decided to give it a miss altogether :D

xDreamerx
      Participant

Working on moving clients and stretchy skin all comes with experience. You will learn to maneuver around skin that is very stretchy.

I mostly see this kind of skin on more healthier size men and women. Especially in their inner arm and stomach area. What I suggest or what I do is I make sure the stretched skin I’m working on is dry and I paper towel stretch and not just my gloved hand. If your going to color in any areas solid and want a good thick line use a bigger RL. I would do a 7 prolly on the on you posted so its nice and clean/thick that way it will be easier to color in to the line and be solid.

This should help you get and maintain a good grip on the skin as you work and let you concentrate on the area your working. Hope this helps.

As for people that give me the run around on their appts…..which isn’t as common anymore since I start charging on additional sittings if they go past what it should take to finish a piece.

If I know a piece can be done in two sittings, we will talk and discuss it before hand and let them know that if it goes into additional sittings then I start charging a seat fee. And that varies. Everyone is different and works differently than I do and thats understandable we all have our own walk. Hope this helps.

@xDreamerx wrote:

Working on moving clients and stretchy skin all comes with experience. You will learn to maneuver around skin that is very stretchy.

I mostly see this kind of skin on more healthier size men and women. Especially in their inner arm and stomach area. What I suggest or what I do is I make sure the stretched skin I’m working on is dry and I paper towel stretch and not just my gloved hand. If your going to color in any areas solid and want a good thick line use a bigger RL. I would do a 7 prolly on the on you posted so its nice and clean/thick that way it will be easier to color in to the line and be solid.

This should help you get and maintain a good grip on the skin as you work and let you concentrate on the area your working. Hope this helps.

As for people that give me the run around on their appts…..which isn’t as common anymore since I start charging on additional sittings if they go past what it should take to finish a piece.

If I know a piece can be done in two sittings, we will talk and discuss it before hand and let them know that if it goes into additional sittings then I start charging a seat fee. And that varies. Everyone is different and works differently than I do and thats understandable we all have our own walk. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, it’s certainly very helpful :) Since I posted the pics, we’ve had another session and all the segments of the body and legs are now filled. Normally, I would just charge someone the regular rate on additional sittings, but in this situation, I had (stupidly :roll: ) said I would only charge a fixed price before we even started, because I know the client doesn’t have much spare cash, and I wanted to talk her into getting the larger tattoo which would be more ‘life-friendly’, than just getting a small one, because that’s all she could afford, and later wanting it expanded (as you can see, the design doesn’t really leave much room for future expansion :D ) It’s definitely been a learning experience though :)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan