• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello everyone! Let me start by saying that I’m very glad I’ve found this board, as I’ve already gained plenty of knowledge from it’s content and I already greatly appreciate everyone who has shared information.

I’ve always been fascinated by tattoos, the history of them, the meaning behind them, etc. My father is a military guy and is covered in tattoos. I have great respect for him and this is where I think my interest and respect for the tattoo industry stems. While I’m not a professional artist and have never been to art school, I have been drawing my whole life, so I think it was only natural to eventually want to pick up a tattoo machine. After some research on this board and on the web in general, I bought a kit from Hildbrandt. I didn’t want to end up with a shitty kit from e-bay but didn’t want to invest $500 or more in the equipment without being able to try my hand at it first. So, that’s where I am; lots of reading/research and waiting for my kit to come in the mail so I can give this a shot.

Let me start out by saying that I’m definitely not doing this for the money. I want to do it for my own enjoyment and so I can learn a new art form that I really do deeply respect. I do not plan on tattooing a human, especially not for money, until I’m 150% confident in my skill.

I know I’m going to want to put ink to skin eventually, though. I know that the best way to go about this is with an apprenticeship. However, I do have a family and a full-time job (about 60 hours/week) that I have to take care of. I don’t want to disrespect any artist that’s come before me and I don’t want to be labeled a “scratcher.” I know I can practice technique and whatnot on practice skins, fruits, pig skin, etc. until I’m confident in my skills. However, I know I’m going to have to put my time in at a real shop if I ever want to be worth a damn. I know that if I try to devote 40 plus hours a week full-time to a shop, I’m going to get burned out with my job that I need to pay bills. I don’t want to sound like I wouldn’t be devoted to it, but I know myself and I’m trying to look ahead so I avoid disappointing myself. I can’t quit my job to take an unpaid apprenticeship. I have read so much and watched so many videos so far but I know that the best way for me to learn is to have someone show me, especially when it comes to sanitation and tuning/building a machine.

I guess what I’m trying to ask is, is it possible to do an apprenticeship and have a full-time job as well? Or is it possible to be self-taught and not be labeled a “scratcher?” Are there even shops out there who will instruct someone on a part-time basis for someone who really wants to learn?

Thanks for reading this and thanks in advance for any responses! I’m really looking forward to learning.

Infamous
      Participant

Welcome to the forum! And to answer your questions, anything is possible! You just got to work about 50x as hard. So yes to all

Thank you for the supportive comment! I was nervous posting for the first time! I didn’t want to come across as someone who wasn’t taking this seriously.

That said, I got my kit today! I ordered the kit on Sunday and with Monday being a holiday I honestly didn’t expect it to be here until sometime next week, so it was a very welcomed surprise today. I’m totally excited and ready to go.

Jbeaufosho

I worked a full time job in the mornings and full time at the shop evenings for two years. It was fucking brutal but worth every second of it. I know someone will have something to say about this but unless your work is some next level shit pros will never take you seriously if you don’t serve an apprenticeship. At least none of the ones I know. And I know quite a few. But if you’re as serious as you say you are you’ll find a way to make it work. And really save yourself a lot of time in the end. Good luck.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan