• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      howel

So, I’m looking at getting an apprenticeship, which means I need to make friends with artists, right? So naturally, I would do this by getting work done and talking to the artists. So I was getting my nose pierced on Saturday, and I was telling the piercer, Van, I told her I wanted to get an apprenticeship. So she said, “That’s cool, but…” I was NOT thinking I would get a ‘but,’ “since those TV shows about tattooing have come out, every douchebag college kid who wears Ed Hardy and thinks he’s alternative and hardcore is trying to get an apprenticeship. My advice; go to art school, develop your chops. Great artists become apprentices before shitty artists who think they’re cool.” It pisses me off that the job market is swamped by assholes who watch too much TV. I don’t even fucking have CABLE. I watch DVDs and I have a PS3 that streams netflix and that’s it. I mean, I plan on going to art school anyway, I just hate posers who make my life difficult.

Loopi

I got this too!

When looking for my apprenticeship I got brought in to a room with a load of tattoo artists they belittled me with comments like “so you wanna be a tattoo artist like Kat von dee” and “we cant offer you a camera to follow you around all day” …. I stood there 27 years of age and felt like a 5 yo. tempted to punch the big guy to show the smaller ones to STFU I stared at the last one to give me a smart comment and told him maybe if he stopped watching crap telly he might have a client to tattoo.

I throw on the odd episode of Miami or LA ink to see what people are getting tattooed then practice drawing and tattooing it, i do not tune in every week to see what drama kat has written in to her script for that week.

Every tattoo artist I have come across has expected me to be a ” i <3 Miami/la ink" chick, I have been painting people for years now before those tv shows made it appealing for every tom dick and harry. I just want to move my art from a couple of hours to permanent.

nytemareh
      Participant

i tried to watch those shows a few times, and thought it showed the tattoo industry in a huge negative light. all i saw was a bunch of artist acting like children. it is the same for any of the new shows that come out. the fact is that it appeals to the younger mtv crowd that see these people as rock stars. so they work hard on drawing, and put together an amazing portfolio. then they get picked up for an apprenticeship. as time goes on they find out they will not be rockstars, and most likely won’t be famous. they find out that it is hard work, and long hours. the apprentice gives up. so then basicly you have mentors that are burned several times, and the people just keep comming thanks to these garbage shows. so when someone walks in that has a life long love for the art of tattoo the artist no longer sees that. the artist sees another person that just saw a show, can draw, and is in his shop. the artist thinks well here we go again.

howel

Are you from the UK? (completely unrelated, sorry) It’s just that “telly” and “Tom, Dick and Harry” are both VERY British things to say.

I’ve also noticed that the people who are “inspired” by these shows to become apprentices generally aren’t the caliber of artist that I would be comfortable with putting art on me permanently. If a person is called to tattoo people, their art will demonstrate that fact, and the same is true for those who are not. I’m still working on my portfolio and I mean, I’m in 11th grade and I’ve known for YEARS that tattooing is my calling, but I don’t trust the quality of my art or the sharpness of my skills yet to even ATTEMPT to get an apprenticeship, let alone actually ink anyone. I just think that there should be a way to prove yourself as devoted to the trade, rather than just someone who’s had a whim. Tattooing is a career, not a hobby. I mean, I guess it could be a hobby, but apprenticing is SERIOUS stuff, so people shouldn’t like, jerk off the artists who are looking for serious people to train. It’s just completely unfair to those of us who love tattoos and the art of tattooing and want to share this love with others.

(that’s my motivation for seeking an apprenticeship. Tattoos are deeply personal, and I want to be a part of that experience for people. I want to help people experience that. IT’S HELPING PEOPLE!!!! YAY!!!!)

@Loopi wrote:

I got this too!

When looking for my apprenticeship I got brought in to a room with a load of tattoo artists they belittled me with comments like “so you wanna be a tattoo artist like Kat von dee” and “we cant offer you a camera to follow you around all day” …. I stood there 27 years of age and felt like a 5 yo. tempted to punch the big guy to show the smaller ones to STFU I stared at the last one to give me a smart comment and told him maybe if he stopped watching crap telly he might have a client to tattoo.

I throw on the odd episode of Miami or LA ink to see what people are getting tattooed then practice drawing and tattooing it, i do not tune in every week to see what drama kat has written in to her script for that week.

Every tattoo artist I have come across has expected me to be a ” i <3 Miami/la ink" chick, I have been painting people for years now before those tv shows made it appealing for every tom dick and harry. I just want to move my art from a couple of hours to permanent.

Jbeaufosho

I was just gonna leave this one alone, but reading the above is making that impossible for me. I love how most of this commentary is coming from someone who isn’t even old enough to get legally tattooed. You say you hate all these “ed hardy posers” but as someone who is literally light years away from the industry yet thinks they know anything about whats wrong with it what do you consider yourself? It’s a fact that those bullshit tv shows represent almost everything wrong with the industry, but for so many different reasons than anything you even came close to saying. It’s people like you who talk on shit that they know nothing about that are the real problem. I mean by all means hate those idiotic mind farts they call television but do it for the right reasons. By the way don hardy is a god in the industry you claim to know so much about. I mean his correspondence with sailor jerry are the reason the modern tattoo even exists. So don’t be so quick to dismiss him because you heard someone else do it. Better yet just have one original thought at all. Best wishes.

Loopi

Tattoos wouldn’t even of been developed if samuel o reilly (Irish man ) hadn’t made adjudtments to Thomas Edisons Electric pen, just felt its silly mentioning who invented the tyre with out recognising that who invented the wheel :D. My “tutor” said to me something that I feel falls in here well… being an artist is being creative and expressing your self not everyone might like your style but all you have to double check is the spelling before you tattoo it” oh and its not a gun its a machine the machine can’t kill you but a pissed off tattoo artist could

@Jbeaufosho wrote:

I was just gonna leave this one alone, but reading the above is making that impossible for me. I love how most of this commentary is coming from someone who isn’t even old enough to get legally tattooed. You say you hate all these “ed hardy posers” but as someone who is literally light years away from the industry yet thinks they know anything about whats wrong with it what do you consider yourself? It’s a fact that those bullshit tv shows represent almost everything wrong with the industry, but for so many different reasons than anything you even came close to saying. It’s people like you who talk on shit that they know nothing about that are the real problem. I mean by all means hate those idiotic mind farts they call television but do it for the right reasons. By the way don hardy is a god in the industry you claim to know so much about. I mean his correspondence with sailor jerry are the reason the modern tattoo even exists. So don’t be so quick to dismiss him because you heard someone else do it. Better yet just have one original thought at all. Best wishes.

Johnny

Hahaha I love it when people get heated and start talking shit. I like la ink… Because its a tv show. And I like being entertained. I havent noticed any change in the “industry” because of kat von d. I also haven’t gone to the doctor and expected dr. House to treat me. People realize that tv is fake. I know this because nobody has ever asked me to lay naked in a bathtub with them and cry after I tattoo them. Because its not realistic and I prefer showers. If you are having trouble getting an appenticeship… Well… Welcome to the way things have been since long before la ink. Atleast its not like on the bowery before where you has to get your ass beat to get in… Or atleast that’s what I’ve read. Its probably best to quit bitching about things and focus on getting better.. Nobody like a bitchy apprentice.

Jbeaufosho

It’s got nothing to do with what it’s doing to tattooists for the most part. The issue is the average customer that is watching these shows and are coming in thinking they know more than their artist. God bless you if you haven’t had to deal with it yet. And youre probably not even going to princeton plainsborough.

Johnny

Hahahaha! Good one…

ChrisWarren

if they are on my tv ,its to see how many health code violations they break in a single episode……

Loopi

LOL! I agree! I do the same thing! when kath was doing the tattoos for charity I was waiting for her to mess up, but then I am just plain evil. mwhahaha

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Rants and Raves’ is closed to new topics and replies.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan