• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      brians3730

I am not real keen on the idea of “practicing” anything on someone else’s skin, so I did this on my leg so I could get some coloring and shading work in. My lines are pretty light in the lower section because of the color scheme. I wasn’t sure how it was going to work out so I figured worst case I would just have to darken them later. Suggestions and criticisms are welcome as I am here to learn.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a612/brians3730/MyLeg_zps7c3521a8.jpg

Infamous
      Participant

I think I might really like this piece, bring on the color!

Lennart82
      Participant

Looks good up until now.
      How long did it take???

brians3730

It took me about 3 hours, counting a couple of breaks towards the end when it started getting painful. All in all I’m pretty happy with it. I actually started the color, but my neck was killing me from staring at my lap so I stopped. As soon is it heals up I’m gonna finish the color.

Lennart82
      Participant

Hahhaha now the feeling, my first tattoo on my self was on my lowerleg. Took 2 hours, my neck, my back, my leg, everything was sore and aching. Had a stiff neck for a week or so.
      That just shows, the body needs its breaks ;)

But still, its a good peice, I know its not easy tattooing one self. ;)

Ramenuzumaki
      Participant

the design is super siq :D

brians3730

Well I finally got some color in this leg. Struggling a little bit with coloring, but let me know what you think.
      http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a612/brians3730/1379882_10151638815571841_1712282192_n_zps569f3e39.jpg

Rscotti91
      Participant

Very nice dude. (:
      What are you having a problem with when color packing?
      IMO, It seems that your not using tight enough circles.
      But if you could explain a little bit more I might be able to give you some tips.
      Keep up the good work, and hope to see more!
      Rscotti91

brians3730

It seems like the lighter colors, light blue, whites, yellows for example, I can’t seem to get them to pack in like the darker colors. My mentor has not offered up much info on this and I’m really starting to regret this apprenticeship. He seems more interested in having me run errands than actually teaching me. Anyway, I have tried using flats, magnums, and round shaders and it always seems that the lighter colors aren’t packing in no matter what I do. I can only assume that this has everything to do with my technique. I seem to have a little better luck with the round shader than the others, but I feel like that is adding to needle time and I don’t want to make hamburger out of the skin by trying 3 or 4 times to get the color in. I am going to try using the smaller circles like you said. Also, my ink,”Radiant” seems to be a little on the thin side compared to “Mom’s”. Could this be the issue? Another artist used my white and light blue and and was able to make it look great. This is why I think it’s more to do with my technique than anything else. Thanks for your input!

Jbeaufosho

Using rounds for filling is a terrible idea unless its a really small area. You should always use mags unless its impossible to do so. The reason you’re having better luck with them is because its filling a smaller surface area at a time and forcing you to work more slowly and methodically. Take your time. Small tight circles. I know it can be daunting and even frustrating at times but take your time. That being said, light colors will never go in as easy as darker colors no matter what you do. But you might want to try different ink. And seriously reconsider this apprenticeship youre doing. That piece was definitely above your skill level. Baby steps man. You gotta learn to crawl before you start running all over lol. But if your mentor can’t even help you with something as simple as that its worth taking a look at. Voice your concerns with him.

Jbeaufosho

Also, I realize this probably isn’t something you’re going to be able to reconcile yourself but you may want to have your mentor take a look at how your shader machine is running. Or it may be as simple as turning up the voltage a little. I do all that by sound and my pontentiometer doesn’t have numbers or a digi readout on my supply so I can’t give you specifics, but if you’re having issues packing color you may try just turning up the voltage a bit. Hope that helps man.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan