• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Jermz808

I’ve just recently done a tattoo on myself with color. It looked good after it was done, but turned out light and faded when it healed. Could the problem be the ink? Whats the difference between pigments and ink? What brand of ink is recommend for color and black outlining?

Tattoos will always be a little lighter when they heal.
      If it is a big difference – I would guess that the pigment is not good – or.. possibly you went too deep.
      Pigment is ground up metal or plastics used in most tattoo inks –
      Ink is usually like Talens and Pelican – used for outlining and some grey wash.

When you tattoo with color – try to use magnums – go over it a few times, have your machine run smooth and soft – not too hard..
      don’t force the ink in.
      What brand pigments you using?

Jermz808

I’m not sure the brand name is cause i dont have it with me but i got it from superior tattoo. And i use kuro sumi for outlining and all black filling. What would you prefer as far as color ink? and what happens to the ink when you go too deep?

too deep with color as in too deep with any ink:
      You jack up the skin – bad healing – scabs inks comes out
      there is a happy balance between poking and scratching – before it becomes tearing and hamburger meat

Prizm is probably what you used from superior… you dont have it anymore? why?

I recommend Starbrite – but Prizm is not that bad actually I kinda like some of their colors.. I first started w/ prizm..
      but my tattoos were really light too when they healed – but that was because i sucked at tattooing – not cause the ink sucked..
      a few year ago i did a tattoo with prizm – and it turned out really bright..

but I tattoo way different now than I did 8 years ago when I first started with prizm…
      keep trying!

DarkSoul

Prizm is amature ink. I use Star Brite and some times Fantasia now known as Eternal Ink but they are a water based ink however it more how YOU apply it and some people HAMMER the crap out of colors like red and green as it is hard to see when applied to the skin. I have been inking 15 years and have used a shit load of colors and want to use ETERNAL inks but use Star Brite and Fantasia (the first run of ETERNAL Inks( but cheap ink leads too shit looking work so use the better to get the best work you can

“Prizm is amature ink”
      Don’t write off Superior so fast. I have had some excellent tattoos with Prizm – especially the Purple and Red.
      Prizm is pretty thick, but its not garbage. I personally use Starbrite for most of the work I do, but I am actually contemplating checking out Prizm again. Just be careful what you call novice ink.
      One of my favorite machines is the light touch – but I replaced everything on the frame – haha. I love that frame though, and people look at me like I am crazy for using it – but I have it running perfectly with Pulse Coils and Eikon a-bar and springs.
      Just something to think about… I’m not saying go out and buy stuff from them.
      I am originally from Phoenix – and I know of a lot of local artists that use a lot of gear from them, very convenient because they are right there, and you can walk in and buy stuff in a rush if you need to. And these are respectable artists doing quality work too.

Jermz808

I haven’t really done much color work yet so i dont have a favorite. iv’e heard of ink called “skin candy” has anyone used it before? i haven’t used it or anything but the colors look good and i was thinking of trying it out. does the thickness of the ink determine its quality. for example, if the ink is thin, does it mean it sucks? or vice versa?

Def not.
      Some people think thin ink goes in easier – so it is better
      other people like thick ink –
      depends on your style of tattooing – how you move your hand / w the needle
      it is an art form – so these are tools.
      I suggest buying the .5 oz bottle (sample kits) of a few brands and see which you like best…

Skin candy is decent< i got about 50 of their colors, including the UV set. dont like the pastels much.

voodoo
      Red Spider

Prizm has a few decent colors,but not many.Most likely,the problem here is that you don’t know what you’re doing.I don’t mean that in a mean way,just stating a fact.Without seeing a picture of the tattoo,it’s hard to say what you’re doing wrong,even harder to say without watching you work.

BigSerg

Skin Candy is good, thats what Mike devries uses, and his work speaks for itself. I myself are experimenting with Allaprima, possibly the best ink out there on the market (many would say).

munch

I guess I can insert my two bits here. We have been using Skin Candy for sometime now and find that it is a great ink but we have recently started using Sun inks and they seem to be just a notch better.

inky V

yeah u probably put it in too deep or too hard. i have used prizm ink a long time ago and i think its super thin. way too thin. or at least that batch was. and plus it smelled like half alcohol. dont buy ink from kaplan cause its half listerine. i use intenze it goes in smooth and heals nice and bright.

Jermz808

Thanks for all of the advice.

xDreamerx
      Participant

I use Intenze and Kuro inks. They have colors from both manufacturers that I preferre. I’ve tried a few other brands, but ultimately I’ve hung with Kuro and Intenze for all my color work.

I recommend you try several brands before you settle on something or just go by someone else’s advise. This way when you try it yourself you’ll have a more intimate working knowledge of the inks.

Check out Fusion and Intenz

gopalkumar20

I am originally from Phoenix – and I know of a lot of nearby artists that use a lot of products from them, very convenient because they are right there, and you can move in and buy goods in a current if you need to. And these are respectable artists doing good quality job too.
      biobanking

Johnny

Hahahaaaaa good call voodoo… I was kind of confused there for a min… I was like “fantasia is eternal??? Whaaaat” not that I really care but still haha sometimes I am baffled about the stuff people make up in their heads and broadcast to the world.. Especially when they are asserting some type of knowledge to someone seeking help…

I haven’t really done much shade perform yet so i do not need a preferred. iv’e observed of ink known as “skin candy” has anyone used it before? i haven’t used it or anything but the colours look excellent and i was considering trying it out. does the width of the ink figure out its excellent.

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

©2024 Tattoo Books Online LLC a tattoo education company by CRcharles Jordan